In 2015, AKC Government Relations (GR) tracked more than more than 1,700 federal, state and local bills as well as a variety of regulations at the state and federal levels. The GR team is also tracking a number of pre-filed bills for upcoming 2016 legislative sessions.
Some of the major issues and emerging trends in legislation from 2015 include:
- Expansion of breeder oversight to non-expert groups
- Retail pet sales bans
- Tethering bills can create harmful unintended consequences
- Measures to protect dogs in cars
- New bond for care requirements
- Legislative findings/preambles that are inaccurate, prejudicial and disparaging to breeders
Additional details are available on the AKC Government Relations Legislative Action Center.