CGC Evaluators Can Now Evaluate For AKC Trick Dog Titles Via Video
CGC AND AKC S.T.A.R. PUPPY CAN NOT BE JUDGED BY VIDEO.
We hope that dog owners will spend this time at home to earn all of their AKC Trick Dog titles.
A few evaluators have asked about the paperwork process for evaluating tricks by video. As of August 2020, the Tricks Checklist and Video Verification Form (VVF) have been combined into one form. Here are the steps:
- CGC Evaluator receives the video link, etc. from the dog owner.
- To prepare to evaluate the video, the Evaluator downloads the combined (one page) Tricks Checklist and Video Verification Form (VVF).
- The Evaluator judges the video, checking off skills on the “Tricks Checklist/VVF”.
- The Evaluator sends the “Tricks Checklist/VVF” to the dog owner (usually via email). The Evaluator also sends a copy of this form to AKC at email@example.com
- The dog owner completes 1) the Title application form and sends it with the 2) “Tricks Checklist/VVF” to AKC.
These updates are being added to the AKC Trick Dog Evaluator Guide.
Do you and your dog love to be the life of the party by showing off his arsenal of tricks? Then he might be perfectly primed to earn AKC Trick Dog titles!
There are five AKC Trick Titles you and your dog can earn:
- AKC Novice Trick Dog (TKN)- Your dog performs 10 skills from the Novice list. (see link to “Application” below for lists of skills). If a dog has a Canine Good Citizen (CGC) certificate or title on record at AKC, it can do 5 Novice tricks (CGC + 5) to earn the Novice title. See the list of tricks here.
- AKC Intermediate Trick Dog (TKI) – Your dog must have the Novice title, plus perform 10 Intermediate tricks. See the list of tricks here.
- AKC Advanced Trick Dog (TKA) – Your dog must have the Intermediate title, plus perform 10 tricks from the Advanced list. See the list of tricks here.
- AKC Trick Dog Performer (TKP) – In this title, handlers perform a short routine with at least 10 tricks with at least 3 tricks using props. See the requirements here.
- AKC Trick Dog Elite Performer (TKE) – In the highest level of Trick Dog, the Elite Performers perform a routine that has a story/script. At least 5 props are used. See the requirements here.
There are 2 ways to earn AKC Trick Dog titles. After teaching your dog the tricks on the checklist for the title:
- You can do in-person testing with an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator. The Title Application and Checklist for the particular title(s) you are applying for should be sent to AKC.
- You can have your tricks tested virtually by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator.
For help finding an evaluator for in-person or virtual testing, email firstname.lastname@example.org
GRANDFATHERED TITLES FROM DMWYD
AKC will recognize Do More With Your Dog!™ (DMWYD) titles at the Novice, Intermediate, Advanced, and Expert levels. To grandfather a DMWYD title, send proof of the title (DMWYD certificate) plus the AKC Title Application and fee(s).
FOR AKC TO ACCEPT THE DMWYD TITLE, THE DMWYD EVALUATOR MUST BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD.
AKC recognizes DMWYD Stunt Dog titles including Novice, Open, Proven, and Professional. The DMWYD Champion Stunt Dog title is not listed by AKC.
FEES FOR GRANDFATHERING TITLES
- If you have a DMWYD Intermediate Trick Dog certificate, to get the AKC Intermediate Trick Dog title, send AKC proof of your DMWYD title (i.e. certificate) along with the AKC Trick Dog Title Application. If you have not earned any AKC Trick Dog titles, you would pay $25 for the AKC Novice title, plus $25 for the Intermediate title to grandfather in at the Intermediate level.
For more information about the Trick Dog Program check out our Frequently Asked Questions at
Your dog must have an AKC number via one of the following:
- AKC Registration Number – This number is provided to a dog owner via a registration certificate received from the previous owner, or via a puppy registration paper given to the new owner by the breeder.
- Purebred Alternative Listing (PAL) – If a dog is purebred but an AKC Registration Number is not possible, owners can apply for PAL number.
- AKC Canine Partners Number – This number is given to either mixed breed dogs or a purebred.
While dogs may begin training for trick titles as puppies, the earliest an AKC Trick Dog title will be awarded by AKC is 4 months.
To be eligible for the AKC Trick Dog Novice Title, your dog must have been observed by a CGC Evaluator doing 10 tricks from the list of accepted tricks. If you have a Canine Good Citizen (CGC) certificate or title on record, you may count the CGC as 5 of the required tricks. This is called “CGC + 5”.
To be eligible for the AKC Intermediate Trick Dog, your dog must have the Novice title, plus perform 10 Intermediate tricks. In Intermediate Trick Dog, with the exception of a few tricks, you will fade the lures that were permitted at the Novice level. See the list of tricks here.
To be eligible for the AKC Trick Dog Advanced Title, your dog must have been observed by a CGC Evaluator doing 10 tricks from the list of accepted tricks, and must have previously earned the Novice and Intermediate Trick Dog Titles. CGC is not required.
To be eligible for the AKC Trick Dog Performer Title, your dog must have been observed by a CGC Evaluator doing ten tricks from the Novice, Intermediate and Advanced titles, and must include at least two Intermediate Tricks and two Advanced Tricks. Your dog must also have previously earned the Novice, Intermediate and Advanced Trick Dog Titles. CGC is not required. In this event, your routine may have a story (e.g., “This is my dog Princess. Princess loves school–here’s what she does at school. She plays ball on the playground, and then she takes a nap,” etc.) See the full list of regulations and get the application here.
To be eligible for the AKC Trick Dog Elite Performer, in the highest level of Trick Dog, the Elite Performers perform a routine that has a story/script. At least 5 props are used and at least 5 tricks must be from the Performer level of Trick Dog. See the requirements here.
With over 22,000 annual events, there is a sport for you.
- Resources +