Now more than ever, fitness is important for both dogs and people. The most commonly recommended exercise to improve fitness is walking. Walking is considered a safe activity that improves muscular strength, circulation, memory, weight loss, increases energy, helps with sleep, and reduces stress. The American Heart Association recommends walking a minimum of 150 minutes per week. Participation in the AKC FIT DOG program will bring health benefits to both you and your dog.
If you walk with your dog on a regular basis, join the ranks of AKC FIT DOG and get your free (5-3/4 inches) FIT DOG logo car magnet.
The AKC FIT DOG magnet proudly declares to the world that you are committed to your dog’s health and fitness through regular exercise.
YOUR TURKEY TROT MEDAL
You can order your free magnet when you and your dog have met one of these fitness goals:
- Walked at least 30 minutes 5 times per week for a total of at least 150 minutes per week for at least 3 months. For dogs and people in good shape.
- Walked at least 15 minutes per session at least 10 times per week (e.g., two 15-min walks per day) for at least 3 months. For dogs or people who would benefit from a walk that is a shorter duration, e.g., senior dogs.
How to Get Your Magnet
- Complete your walks. Keep a record so you will know when you’ve met your goal. You can either keep your own records or use the form we have created for you, which can be located here.
- Complete the Magnet Order Form. It’s that simple! We’ll send your magnet.
If you are already taking your dog on regular walks, you may count those. Remember that before starting an exercise program for your dog, it is a good idea to consult with your veterinarian.
FIT DOG Clubs
NEW! We are pleased to announce the development of AKC FIT DOG Clubs!
September 2018, AKC launched the AKC FIT DOG program where dog owners who walk a specified distance with their dogs can receive a free AKC FIT DOG car magnet. It has been a great success and now the program has expanded to recognize AKC FIT DOG Clubs! These are local groups which meet and accomplish certain fitness goals together with their dogs.
Groups that may be approved as AKC FIT DOG clubs include: AKC clubs, independent dog training schools, and other dog related clubs and organizations.
To promote health and fitness for dogs and their owners, AKC FIT DOG clubs will:
- Conduct at least 4 group fitness walks per year, or
- Conduct regularly scheduled canine fitness/conditioning classes.
In the fitness walks and classes, dogs and owners may participate at their own individual skill level.
Groups that are approved as AKC FIT DOG clubs will receive a free banner with the AKC logo and the club’s name.
To become an AKC FIT DOG club, complete the online FIT DOG Club Application.
Please send any inquiries about the program to: FITDOG@akc.org