AKC Responsible Dog Ownership Days
Each year, the American Kennel Club® calls on its more than 5,000 affiliated dog clubs and all other pet-related organizations from around the country to participate in AKC RDO Days by hosting a community event that includes activities like dog sport demos, breed parades, safety around dog presentations for kids, microchipping clinics and more. The nationwide initiative educates the public about the importance of being a responsible dog owner and celebrates the deep bond between humans and their canine companions.
Host an Event!
Special AKC RDO Days kits with giveaways will ship to the first 500 clubs and organizations that register their event.
Wondering what you can do for your RDO Day? Try including one or more of these activities:
- Offer Canine Good Citizen (A free CGC test kit is included in your RDO Day materials!)
- Breed Parades/Meet the right dog for you
- Obedience/Agility/Rally/Performance demonstrations
- Encourage attendees to try an agility or rally course with their dog while club members coach them along
- Hold an AKC Reunite microchip clinic
- Rescue information booth
- Health clinic/health screen testing/First Aid for dogs
- AKC Canine Partners demonstration and/or booth
- Therapy/SAR Dog or Police K9 Unit demonstrations
- Safety Around Dogs for kids presentations
- A kids contest with awards for best drawings, photos or essays about dogs
Note for AKC Clubs: Every club applying to hold a show must host at least ONE major activity within the calendar year to be approved for the next calendar year’s show(s) or TWO major activities if the club holds no show within 10 miles of the their territory during the previous year. Hosting an AKC Responsible Dog Ownership Day event qualifies as a Major Activity.