Each year the AKC invites its more than 5,000 affiliated dog clubs, along with other pet-related organizations to host Responsible Dog Ownership Day to help educate the public in their communities about the responsibilities of dog ownership and help current owners enhance their relationships with their pets. These events typically consist of educations booths, action-packed dog demonstrations, activities to try out with your dog, microchipping, health clinics, and more. Owning a dog has endless pleasures and rewards, but all need a friendly reminder about the obligations we have to our pets in return.
The American Kennel Club® (AKC®) is excited to host its flagship Responsible Dog Ownership Day event this year after being cancelled last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic!
Saturday, September 17th, 2022
North Carolina State Fairgrounds
4285 Trinity Road, Raleigh, NC
With TONS of fun activities!
Take your dog through the ten-step AKC Canine Good Citizen® (CGC) test! This special certification shows that your dog is a well-mannered member of the community. AKC Trick Dog tests will also be available!
- Visit the microchip clinic brought to you by AKC Reunite!
- Watch the action-packed dog demonstrations including conformation, disc dog, trick dog, and herding!
- Enjoy other family-friendly activities including dog games with a chance to win prizes and more!
- Pick up a treat of toy for your dog at one of the many vendors!</li
- Food trucks on site for lunch!
- Bailey’s Book Club will be collecting books for their program!
- The first 500 people will receive welcome bags!
RDO Day will also host the Cary Kennel Club!
- Registration from 9:30 – 10:30 AM
- $10 fee to benefit Cary Kennel Club Community Projects
- 10:00 AM Junior Showmanship Clinic
- 10:30 AM Junior Competition 9-12 years, 12-15 years, 15-18 years
- Match Starts immediately following Juniors.
- Breed Classes 4-6 puppy; 6-9 puppy; 9-12 puppy; Open
- All Recognized Breeds welcome; No dogs with major points. Miscellaneous Breeds and FSS Breeds welcome.
DOG GAMES SCHEDULE:
10:15 am – Eat Your Veggies Contest: The dogs get a small plate of veggies and the dog who cleans his or her plate first wins! Consolation prize for the pickiest eater!
11:00 am – Puppy Push-up Contest: A puppy push-up is a sit, lie down, and back to a sit again so if your dog knows sit and down give it a try! The dog who can do the most push-ups wins!
11:45 am – Treat Catching Contest: Can your dog catch a treat out of mid-air? Win a prize for catching three in a row!
12:45 pm – Musical Sits: No chairs needed. When the music stops, the dogs with the fastest sits stay in the game. The last dog sitting wins!
1:30 pm – Shell Game – The Nose Knows: From a short distance, your dog will watch as a treat is placed under a cup, then get a chance to pick the correct cup. Then, with no peeking allowed, your dog will have a chance to sniff out the cup containing the treat!
In between games, stop by to let your dog bob for balls and win a prize.
DOG SPORTS DEMONSTRATION SCHEDULE:
10:15 am – Scent Work: Does your dog love to sniff? This AKC sport allows your super-sniffers to earn titles and awards for using their amazing noses!
10:45 am – Herding: Watch skilled Border Collies round up a group of ducks & learn how herding dogs are trained to use their instincts to help farmers.
11:15 am – Agility: Have fun watching canines navigate an obstacle course of jumps, tunnels and weave poles. Dogs love this game that tests their speed and agility.
11:45 am – Disc/Tricks: Don’t miss this action-packed demo set to music featuring talented dogs catching discs, doing stunts & tricks!
12:15 pm – Competition Obedience: Take the basics of training to the next level. Watch dogs perform heeling, retrieving, jumping and more!
12:45 pm – Herding: Watch skilled Border Collies round up a group of ducks & learn how herding dogs are trained to use their instincts to help farmers.
1 pm – Disc/tricks: Do not miss this action-packed demo set to music, featuring talented dogs catching discs, doing stunts & tricks.
1:30 pm – Agility: Have fun watching canines navigate an obstacle course of jumps, tunnels and weave poles. Dogs love this game that tests their speed and agility.
Get Involved From Home
We encourage all responsible dog owners to take a pledge to follow the pet promise.
If your dog isn’t already a Canine Good Citizen, it’s time to start training! There are many ways you can train for CGC skills from home. Once your dog is ready, contact an evaluator and set up an in-person assessment.
Enrich your dog’s life by getting started in a new sport or activity from home. There are many AKC titles you can earn from your house.
Try out new training exercises and sports from the comfort and safety of your home:
- Teach Your Puppy These 5 Basic Commands
- How to Teach Your Dog Scent Work at Home
- Canine Cavaletti: Equine Exercises You Can Do At Home With Your Dog
- Three Easy Do-At-Home Exercises For Senior Dogs
- DIY Cognitive Dog Toys for When You Are Stuck at Home
- Quiz: Are You A Responsible Dog Owner?
- How AKC Canine Good Citizen Is Part of Being a Responsible Dog Owner
- 75 Ways to Be a Responsible Dog Owner
- 7 Ways to Celebrate Responsible Dog Ownership Month
- Get Started in AKC Sports & Events