CGC-Ready is how the Canine Good Citizen (CGC) program is implemented in settings where staff or volunteer trainers train dogs either 1) for their existing owners, or 2) or to prepare them for adoption.
The CGC-Ready program applies when CGC training is provided in settings and agencies such as:
- Rescue organizations (including all of AKC’s breed rescue)
- Prison based dog training programs
- Service dog trainers
- Dog daycare
- Boarding kennels with Board & Train programs
HOW IT WORKS
- Dogs are trained by trainers (staff or volunteers).
- In daycare or boarding settings, when dog is ready, owners take a lesson, then take the dog through the CGC test.
- In adoption oriented settings, dogs can be advertised as, “If you adopt me, I am ready to take the CGC test with you.” You can display our sample kennel card. Adopters take dogs through the test at adoption.
- Owners are given CGC paperwork to send to AKC. Agencies may choose to cover the cost of the certificate.