The following must be met in order to be accepted into the program:
- Has a history of at least 5 years involvement with AKC events.
- Earned AKC Conformation, Performance or Companion* event titles on a minimum of 4 dogs from AKC litters they bred/co-bred in each breed applied for.
- Member of an AKC club.
- Certifies that applicable health screens are performed on your breeding stock as recommended by the Parent Club.
Health test requirements can be found on the Breed Health Testing Requirements webpages.
- Demonstrates a commitment to ensuring 100% of the puppies produced are individually AKC registered.
*Applied for titles, i.e. CGC, Trick Dog, NADD, Parent Club titles, etc., do not meet event requirements. Titles must be either competitive, require multiple passes, or the opinion of more than one judge.
Advanced Recognition Levels
Advanced Levels of Recognition will require an additional application and will also be recognized on a breed specific basis.
Recognition is available to those that meet the following minimum standards:
- Have qualified and enrolled as a Breeder of Merit
- Can provide proof of Parent Club required health testing on sires/dams of litters
- Have met their commitment to ensure that all their puppies get registered
- Breeders who have produced a number of titled dogs will be recognized at the following levels
|REQUIRED TITLES ON DOGS BRED/CO-BRED*
|Breeder of Merit – current
|Minimum Of 4 Dogs Earning Titles
|Breeder of Merit – Bronze
|Minimum Of 10 Dogs Earning Titles With At Least 5 Earning Prefix Titles
|Breeder of Merit – Silver
|Minimum Of 25 Dogs Earning Titles With At Least 15 Earning Prefix Titles
|Breeder of Merit – Gold
|Minimum Of 50 Dogs Earning Titles With At Least 30 Earning Prefix Titles
|Breeder of Merit – Platinum
|Minimum Of 100 Dogs Earning Titles With At Least 60 Earning Prefix Titles
Both prefix (Champion titles in all venues) and suffix titles recognize titles earned in AKC Conformation, Companion, and Performance events.
Breeder of Merit sponsored by Royal Canin
The American Kennel Club recognizes Breeders of Merit for their dedication to breeding purebred dogs with the appearance, temperament, and abilities that are true to their breed standard, and for their commitment to health screening and 100 percent puppy registration. The AKC celebrates their success in and passion for canine sports. They are the pinnacle of the AKC community.