Students will learn how to break apart new words into syllables using dog breed names and will write sentences about the dog breeds.
English Language Arts Common Core Standards
Use knowledge that every syllable must have a vowel sound to determine the number of syllables in a printed word.
Decode two-syllable words following basic patterns by breaking the words into syllables.
Dog Breed Name Strips (15 pre-cut strips per student): HERE
Dog Breed Pictures (15 pre-cut pictures per student): HERE
Scissors (One pair per student)
Syllable Mat (One per student): HERE
Lined Writing Paper for Sentences
Introduction and Teacher Modeling
- Begin the lesson by clapping out syllables in various words together as a class, for instance: baby (2 syllables), popcorn (2 syllables), doctor (2 syllables), circle (2 syllables), and so forth.
- Show students on the board how to divide the above words into their syllables and explain that every syllable must have a vowel sound in it. Examples:
ba | by
pop | corn
doc | tor
cir | cle
- Hand out syllable mats, scissors, and dog breed name strips to each student.
- Practice clapping out syllables of seven of the dog breeds below together, and have students cut the strips into their syllables and place them on their mats. Example:
BAR | BET
BEA | GLE
BOX | ER
BULL | DOG
CHOW | CHOW
COL | LIE
GREAT | DANE
- Have students complete the remaining dog breeds independently by clapping out the syllables, cutting the strips into their syllables, and placing them on the mat. Teachers can circulate to ensure student understanding and assist when necessary.
- Pass out the pictures of the dog breeds. Have students write one sentence about each dog breed (describe color, size, name, what they can do, etc.).
Review and Closing
- Review the remaining dog breeds as a class and practice clapping out the syllables together. Have students give examples of different words to practice breaking into syllables.
- Have students share their sentences with the class.
- Students can play a memory match game with the names of the dog breeds and pictures of them.
Dog Breeds. (n.d.). Retrieved from www.akc.org/dog-breeds.