Students will read a graph correctly and use the graph to find information.
Common Core Standard
Understand a rational number as a point on the number line. Extend number line diagrams and coordinate axes familiar from previous grades to represent points on the line and in the plane with negative number coordinates.
Understand signs of numbers in ordered pairs as indicating locations in quadrants of the coordinate plane; recognize that when two ordered pairs differ only by signs, the locations of the points are related by reflections across one or both axes.
Find and position integers and other rational numbers on a horizontal or vertical number line diagram; find and position pairs of integers and other rational numbers on a coordinate plane.
Puppy Growth article Click Here
- Have students read this article about the way puppies grow. Click Here
- Review the attributes of a graph, including x-axis and y-axis.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling
- Display sample graph below. Ask students the following questions:
- What does the x-axis represent?
- What does the y-axis represent?
- How many facts did I get correct on day 2?
Independent Working Time
- Have students complete the puppy growth questions independently.
Review and Closing
- Review the correct answers with the class.
Burke, A. (2016, August 22). When Does My Puppy Finish Growing? Retrieved fromhttps://www.akc.org/content/dog-care/articles/when-does-my-puppy-finish-growing/