- AKC National Championship
- hound group
- herding group
- working group
- sporting group
- non-sporting group
- toy group
- grand basset griffon vendeen
- terrier group
- giant schnauzer
- german wirehaired pointer
- australian shepherd
- smooth fox terrier
The 2021 AKC National Championship Presented by Royal Canin on Dec. 18 and 19 hosted more than 5,000 dogs who all competed for the coveted title of Best in Show. The competition began with each dog competing for best in their breed. Best of Breed winners then advanced to compete in the group competitions to narrow down the final dogs to seven.
Best in Group
- Sporting — These dogs were bred to hunt game birds both on land and in the water. The breeds in this group include Pointers, Retrievers, Setters, and Spaniels.
- Hound — These breeds were bred for hunting other game by sight or scent. These breeds include such dogs as Beagles, Basset Hounds, Dachshunds, and Greyhounds.
- Working — These dogs were bred to pull carts, guard property, and perform search and rescue services. Among the breeds in this group are the Akita, Boxer, Doberman Pinscher, and St. Bernard.
- Terrier — This group includes breeds such as the Airedale, Cairn Terrier, and Scottish Terrier. Terriers were bred to rid property of vermin such as rats.
- Toy — These dogs were bred to be household companions. This group includes little dogs such as the Chihuahua, Maltese, Pomeranian, and Pug.
- Non-Sporting — This diverse group includes the Chow Chow, Bulldog, Dalmatian, and Poodle. These dogs vary in size and function, and many are considered companion dogs.
- Herding — These dogs were bred to help shepherds and ranchers herd their livestock. The Briard, Collie, German Shepherd Dog, and Old English Sheepdog are some of the breeds in this group.
The Group Winners of the 2021 AKC National Championship
The Sporting Group
The winner of the Sporting Group was a German Wirehaired Pointer known as “Beacon,” GCHS CH Heywire N Deep Harbor Love That Dirty Water CD JH AX OAJ NF, owned by Lee Friess & J. Jacobs & B. Brawn & P. Laurans of Portsmouth, NH and bred by Lee Friess, Jennifer Jacobs, and Judy Cheshire.
- 1st Place German Wirehaired Pointer GCHS CH Heywire N Deep Harbor Love That Dirty Water CD JH AX OAJ NF
- 2nd Place Lagotto Romagnolo GCHS CH Kan Trace Very Cheeky Chic
- 3rd Place Brittany GCHG CH Brigadier Shamrock All Silver Stars
- 4th Place Labrador Retriever GCHS CH Tampa Bay & Eagle Pond’s Kisses Sweeter Than Wine
The Hound Group
The winner of the Hound Group was a Grand Basset Griffon Vendeen known as “Clancy,” GCHB CH Sidekick’s Life Is A Highway, owned by Janice Brown & Brent Humphrey of Minden, NV and bred by Brent Humphrey, Laura Offerdahl, and Corey Benedict.
- 1st Place Grand Basset Griffon Vendeen GCHB CH Sidekick’s Life Is A Highway
- 2nd Place Harrier GCHS CH Blythmoor Sheez-Beez Tell Me No Tales
- 3rd Place Borzoi GCHS CH Justart Majenkir Status Symbol
- 4th Place Basset Hound GCH CH Ol’South’s Craigwood Beclove Ride ‘Em Cowboy
The Working Group
The winner of the Working Group was a Giant Schnauzer known as “Bayou,” GCHG CH Lagniappe’s From The Mountains To The Bayou, owned by Holly & Chris Reed & Laurie Mason & Mike Mason of Port Allen, LA and bred by Chris Reed and Holly Reed and Maryann Bisceglia and Mike Reese.
- 1st Place Giant Schnauzer GCHG CH Lagniappe’s From The Mountains To The Bayou
- 2nd Place Samoyed GCHP CH Vanderbilt ‘N Printemp’s Lucky Strike
- 3rd Place Cane Corso GCHP CH Castleguard Spiritridge Magical Sebec FDC TT RATS CGCA CGCU
- 4th Place Kuvasz GCHS CH Ederra’s Glacier The Power Of Mo’Ne
The Terrier Group
The winner of the Terrier Group was a Smooth Fox Terrier known as “Boom,” GCHS CH Hampton Ct Broxden Drop the Mic, owned by Victor Malzoni Jr and Amy and Phil Booth of Pimento, IN, and bred by Mariah Dupuy and Heidi M Gervais.
- 1st Place Smooth Fox Terrier GCHS CH Hampton Ct Broxden Dropthe Mic
- 2nd Place Wire Fox Terrier GCHS CH Irvonhill Voignier
- 3rd Place Welsh Terrier CH Monaline Unit
- 4th Place Dandie Dinmont Terrier GCHS CH King’s Mtn. Henry Higgins
The Toy Group
- 1st Place Pekingese CH Pequest Fortune Cookie
- 2nd Place Affenpinscher GCHG CH Tamarin Tattoo
- 3rd Place Havanese GCHB CH Wynmark’s Les Bijoux’s Rock’N Rolz At Reverie
- 4th Place Pomeranian GCHB CH Heavenbound He’s The Prince Of Peace
The Non-Sporting Group
The winner of the Non-Sporting Group was a Bulldog known as “Thor,” GCHP CH Diamond Gold Majesu Pisko Bulls, owned by Kara Gordon & Joan Fisher & N Chavez & J Flores of Conroe, TX and bred by Jonathan David Flores Siguas.
- 1st Place Bulldog GCHP CH Diamond Gold Majesu Pisko Bulls
- 2nd Place French Bulldog GCHG CH Fox Canyon’s I Won The War At Goldshield CGCA CGCU TKN
- 3rd Place Xoloitzcuintli GCH CH Sonadora Del Rey
- 4th Place Dalmatian GCHG CH Spotlight Tequila Sunrise Bret D
The Herding Group
The winner of the Herding Group was an Australian Shepherd known as “JJ,” GCHP CH Lk Michigan I’M Your’S, owned by Marcie & Rick Boomsliter of Mendon, MI and bred by Jenny Woelzlein, Carol Hawkins, Marcie Boomsliter, and Suzanne T Ritter.
- 1st Place Australian Shepherd GCHP CH Lk Michigan I’M Your’S
- 2nd Place German Shepherd Dog GCHG CH Gem-N-I River Of Urloved CGC
- 3rd Place Shetland Sheepdog GCHP2 CH Syringa – Akadia The Corsair
- 4th Place Pembroke Welsh Corgi GCHG CH Trifecta Fantasia CGC TKA
AKC National Championship 2021 Best in Show
After winning Best in Group, the seven winning dogs go on to compete in Best in Show. Winning Best in Show at the AKC National Championship is one of the highest honors in the sport and comes with a $50,000 prize. In the end, Giant Schnauzer “Bayou” GCHG CH Lagniappe’s From The Mountains To The Bayou, triumphed.
Bayou the Giant Schnauzer, owned by Holly & Chris Reed & Laurie Mason & Mike Mason of Port Allen, LA and bred by Chris Reed and Holly Reed and Maryann Bisceglia and Mike Reese, handled by Alfonso Escobedo was awarded Best in Show by judge Mr. Dana P. Cline.
German Wirehaired Pointer “Beacon” was awarded Reserve Best in Show.