The AKC Archives is arranged into four major groups:
Contact the Archivist for further information on undescribed materials and/or to make advance appointments (required) to consult archival holdings.
Please note that the list below may not represent the most accurate, up-to-date inventory. Click here to search all processed AKC archival collections.
This group contains the bulk of the AKC Archives’ holdings: AKC Parent Club and select Member Club records. The collections varyingly consist of meeting minutes, constitutions, by-laws, officer lists and files, original research on breeds, correspondence, brochures, pamphlets, premium lists, show catalogs, club publications, photographs, audio-visual material, and more.
The club collections are broken into their respective breed groups:
- Miscellaneous Class
The AKC Library & Archives holds a multitude of AKC Parent Club-produced and breed-specific materials which were not acquired as part of the large, formally deposited collections above. This collection has been recently inventoried and includes:
- Breed History, Descriptions, and Standards files
- Club Periodicals
- Club Yearbooks, Annuals, and Pictorials
- Club Catalogs
- Breed and Club miscellaneous files
- Studbooks, Pedigrees, Registries, and Statistical Compilations
- Club Codes of Ethics
To discuss the deposit of club records with the AKC Library & Archives, directly contact the Archivist.
Individuals who have played a major role in the sport of the purebred dog – often as judges, breeders, artists, authors, handlers, and owners – are included. The bulk of the collections consist of correspondences, photographs, personal research, pedigrees, scrapbooks, and more.
- Faye Bergman collection of Boxer photographs (1940-1960)
- Filomena Doherty collection of Pug materials (1952-1973)
- Thomas M. Gately papers (1925-1989)
- Wilbur E. “Red” Henry collection of Beagle research materials (1876-1985)
- Dorothy Howe collection of Labrador Retriever materials (1940s-1970s)
- Winkie (W.E.) Mackay-Smith collection of Bull Terrier materials (1967-1997)
- Gustav Muss-Arnolt Pen Drawings collection (1889-1908)
- The Peters family and Windholme Kennel papers (1866-1969)
- George Sheperd Page collection of Scottish Deerhound materials (1880s-1930s)
The bulk of this collection consists of various departmental records from 1884 to the present. Records include the following items:
- Board of Director Meeting Minutes (1884-present)
- Constitution and By-Laws (1884-present)
- Rules Applying to Registration and Dog Shows (1933-present)
- Dog Show and Field Trial Rules and Regulations (1884-present)
- Department Collections – This consists of select AKC departments such as Club Relations, Gazette, and Executive Officer files.
- Club Relation Files (1918 – 1936)
Many of these materials are now digitized and may be accessed here.
The Visual Materials group consists of heavily graphic-based collections, including photographs, slides, negatives, and ephemera. The bulk of these collections are win shot negatives and other dog show imagery taken by leading photographers of the sport. Photographs are present in personal papers, club records, and other collections as well.
- John Ashbey collection of dog show photography,1974-2003
- William P. Gilbert collection of dog show photography, 1979-1984
- John T. Marvin photography collection, 1800-1985
- Margaurite and Kenneth M. McDonald collection of dog show photography, 1947-1979
- Luis Sosa collection of dog show photography, 1992-2004
- Mr. and Mrs. Robert Lewis Wiel Collection of Lakeland, Kerry Blue, and Fox Terrier photographs, 1948-1965
- Missy Yuhl collection of dog show photography, 1974-1996
The AKC Library has vertical files of various dog-related materials that have been assembled by staff over the years. Often provenance is unknown.
Comprehensive information and biographical files arranged by subject have been assembled from the AKC Gazette and other publications; these are not exhaustive resources but are supplementary to the existing archival collections.
More detailed description and inventorying of vertical file contents is an ongoing initiative.
- AKC Library subject files, 1980-2010
- Sports Illustrated Library News Clippings files, 1950-1993
- Scrapbooks collection, 1897-1985
The 18,000-volume library collection may be explored through the online catalog CAIUS