- Government Relations
- Government Relations Resources
Government Relations Resources
Here you can access a list of AKC Government Relations resources available to help you be effective advocates for responsible dog ownership and breeding! Be sure to check back often, as we are continuously adding new items.
If you have any questions about these materials, or are dealing with a canine legislation issue, please contact AKC Government Relations at (919) 816-3720 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
AKC Government Relations Resources
- View a brief overview of resources available to help you.
Advocacy Assistance/Public Outreach
- Be Your Dog's Best Friend... And a Good Neighbor
- Canine Legislation: What is the AKC Doing About it? What Can You Do?
- Communicating Effectively with Your Legislators -- brochure
- Communicating Effectively with Your Legislators -- printable flyer
- How a Bill Becomes a Law -- infographic
- Make Your Contact Count
- What to do When a Bad Bill is Introduced
- AKC CLSF Expands Advocacy and Education
Articles and Issue Analyses
- Dispelling the Myths of Cropped Ears, Docked Tails, Dewclaws, and Debarking
- Why Mandatory Spay/Neuter Laws are Ineffective
- Why Breed-Specific Legislation Doesn't Work
- The Value of Responsible Dog Breeders
- Conformation Shows -- More Than Just a Pretty Face
- AKC's Government Relations Department Legislative Analysis Service
- Unintended Consequences: PUPS/Proposed APHIS Regulations
- It's About the Dogs! Non-Economic Damages Claims Harm Animal Wellbeing
Canine Legislation Awareness Flyers
- Can You Imagine a World Without Dogs?
- Cuddle This -- horizontal version
- Cuddle This -- vertical version
- Election Day -- Your Rights Could Hang in the Balance
- Where Did All the Dogs Go?
Economic Impact of Dog Shows
Government Relations Brochures/Handouts
- AKC Care & Conditions Policy
- AKC's Government Relations Department: Here to Help You!
- AKC Legislative Liaison Program
- Animal Limit Laws: Better Alternatives -- one-page handout
- The Dangers of "Guardianship" -- brochure
- The Dangers of "Guardianship" -- infographic
- The Deed... Not the Breed
- Establishing a Dog Park in Your Community -- booklet (download only)
- Establishing a Dog Park in Your Community -- handout
- Establishing a Dog Park in Your Community -- infographic
- Safe Housing for Dogs
Government Relations Issue Briefs
- AKC Inspections
- Breed-Specific Legislation
- Cropping and Docking
- Dog Limit Laws
- Mandatory Spay-Neuter
- Responsible Breeding Practices
Government Relations Position Statements
- Canine Legislation Summary Position Statements -- List of all policy position statements
- Animal Terrorism
- Breeding Regulations and Restrictions
- Canine Population Issues
- "Dangerous Dog" Control Legislation
- Dog Auctions
- Dog Fighting
- Ear Cropping, Tail Docking and Dewclaw Removal
- Enforcement of the Animal Welfare Act
- "Guardian" v. Owner
- Homeowners' Insurance and Dangerous Dogs
- Misuse of Service Dogs
- Proper Care and Humane Treatment of Dogs
- Protection for Puppy Purchasers
- Public Transportation for Dogs
- Purebred Dog Rescue
- Responsible Breeding Practices
- Responsible Dog Ownership
- Spaying and Neutering
- The Advantages of Purebred Dogs
- The Right to Keep and Enjoy Dogs
- Use of Dogs in Research
- Use of Dogs in Sporting, Working and Competition Activities
- Use of Working, Assistance & Service Dogs
Contact the AKC Government Relations Department at (919) 816-3720 or email@example.com to request more information or to order these items:
- Consumer Protection Legislation Packet -- Discussion, position statement and sample laws concerning "puppy lemon laws."
- Dangerous Dog Legislation Packet -- Discussion, position statements and sample laws concerning dangerous dog laws.
- Organizing State Federations Packet -- Discussion of how to organize statewide groups to share information on canine legislation and conserve resources.
- Preventing Breeding Restrictions Packet -- Discussion of legislative proposals that would restrict or regulate dog breeding.
- Click here to view a series of PowerPoint presentations recorded by the AKC Government Relations staff.
Sample Letters to the Editor
- Breed-Specific Legislation -- Word | PDF | Text
- Breeder Regulations -- Word | PDF | Text
- Breeder Regulations -- Ownership Limits -- Word | PDF | Text
- Limit Laws -- Word | PDF | Text
- Mandatory Spay/Neuter -- Word | PDF | Text
Sample Letters to Lawmakers
- Breed-Specific Legislation -- PDF
- Breeder Regulations -- PDF
- Ear Cropping/Tail Docking -- PDF
- Limit Laws -- PDF
- Mandatory Spay Neuter -- PDF
- Constituent Introduction to Lawmakers -- PDF
Canine Legislation Candidate Survey
- Candidate Survey -- PDF