Your dog responds well to commands at home and in public, but how would he respond in a farm environment? There’s an easy way to find out: Sign him up for a Farm Dog Certified test.
Open to all breeds of dogs, this test involves your dog performing a series of 12 exercises that are typical for a farm environment such as being in close proximity to livestock (who are always penned to avoid any altercations); jumping and staying on hay/straw bales; walking on unusual terrain; and jumping over logs. There is no herding involved. Instead, the goal is to assess his aptitude as a working farm dog by exhibiting self-control, confidence and trust with you or his handler.
To prepare for this test, familiarize yourself with the 12 required elements found in the Farm Dog Certified (FDC) Test Regulations.
Then, find a test coming up in your area by searching our Event Calendar.
Regulations and General Info for the Farm Dog Certified Test:
- Article: Is Your Dog “Farm Dog Certified”?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- New Farm Dog Certified Test Announced!
- Farm Dog Certified Test Guide
- Farm Dog Certified Test Regulations
- FDC Brochure PDF
Find Upcoming Tests or Approved Judges:
- Search Upcoming FDC Tests – [select: “Farm Dog Certification” then “All Future Events” then click on “each state” OR click box for “All States“, then hit “Search“]
- Search Judges Directory – [select: “Farm Dog Certification then choose your state(s) or if you are unsure don’t select any and it will pull all, then hit “Submit“]
Farm Dog Certified Test Forms:
- FDC Event Application – for Non-Herding Clubs (fillable PDF)
- FDC Event Application – for Herding Clubs
- FDC Test Result Form
- FDC Title Application (fillable PDF)
- FDC Canine Partners Dog Listing App (fillable PDF)
- FDC Test Evaluation Form
- Application to Judge FDC
This test is open to all breeds. Your dog must be at least 9 months of age and have an AKC number via one of the following
- AKC Registration Number – This number is provided to a dog owner via a registration certificate received from the previous owner, or via a puppy registration paper given to the new owner by the breeder.
- Purebred Alternative Listing (PAL) – If a dog is purebred but an AKC Registration Number is not possible, owners can apply for PAL number.
- AKC Canine Partners Number – This number is given to either mixed breed dogs or a purebred.
- Foundation Stock Service®(FSS) Number – This number is used for breeds whose status is currently in the foundational stage of being recorded into our registry and requires a copy of the dog’s pedigree.
Find An Event
With over 22,000 annual events, there is a sport for you.
Embed Our Video
How to Add the FDC Video to Your Club’s Website
Follow these 4 steps:
- On the above video, click on the share button in the top right corner:
- Click on the embed button to copy the code:
- Paste copied iframe code into the html code of your website page
- Republish your website page; the video will now be displayed
- Herding/FDC Regulations
- Judges’ Directory – [select: “Farm Dog Certification then choose your state(s) or if you are unsure don’t select any and it will pull all, then hit “Submit“]
- Farm Dog Certified Contact Info: