Good dogs come from good breeders. Good breeders strive to improve their breeds while considering canine health, temperament, training and promoting responsible dog ownership. Part art, part science, and total devotion, breeding is exciting and challenging. Breeder education is key.
The American Kennel Club will be honoring Parent Clubs which provide outstanding breeder education materials to its members and to new breeders of its breed with the AKC Eddy Award.
What is the AKC Eddy Award?
The Eddy Award seeks to recognize outstanding breeder education offered by Parent Clubs. Winning Parent Clubs will receive:
- A certificate will be presented to the winner(s) at the AKC National Championship in December.
- A digital badge to put on the club’s website.
- Posting on AKC Social Media and/or AKC Breeder Education page.
- An interview with the winner(s) on tape for historical preservation.
- Winner(s) to do a write-up about their Breeder Education to share with the dog world.
Purpose of the Award
The purpose of the AKC Eddy Award is to encourage Parent Clubs to provide extensive Breeder Education information to their members and for anyone interested in breeding their breed.
A Parent Club must demonstrate a breeder education effort (website, workshop, mentoring, or the like) that provides information beyond the expected in an interesting and unique manner. All Parent Clubs are invited to submit a description of their breeder education effort for consideration by the committee.
Parent Clubs will be divided into three (3) tiers based on the size of their membership and resources.
A submission form will be provided to each Parent Club via an announcement sent to President, Secretary, and Delegate, on or about June 1st annually. The deadline for submitting the completed form will be September 1st annually. There will be a maximum of three (3) winners each year.
What criteria will be considered in selecting winners by club tier?
- Does the submission describe in detail how the club provided significant help for current and/or prospective breeders?
- Does the submission describe in detail how the club provided an easy-to-understand resource for both experienced and novice breeders?
- Is there an easy way to either save or re-visit the information?
- Is the club-created program somehow unique to breeder education?
- Could other clubs replicate the program in a manner appropriate to their resources? Does this program reach out to breeders who may not be members of the Parent Club? How?
- How does the Parent Club reach out to its own membership?
Please fill out this form to apply.
Frequently Asked Questions
When will the first AKC Eddy Award be presented?
Submissions will be accepted beginning June 1, 2023 and will be due September 1, 2023. The AKC Eddy Award will be presented at the 2023 AKC National Championship in Orlando, Florida.
Who will choose the recipients?
A 3-member committee consisting of an AKC staff member, an AKC board member, and a Parent Club Committee member. The AKC board member and the Parent Club member rotate representatives each year and the AKC staff member remains constant.
Who can I contact with questions?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.