Introduction to Canine Club
- All About Canine Club Document
- Supplies for Discussion (depending on your choice of activity-i.e. ball, paper, etc.)
- Distribute the “All About Canine Club” document to students.
- Quickly review the document and expectations of the club.
- Invite students to share why they decided to join the Canine Club, their specific interest in dogs and if they currently have a dog. You may choose to structure this conversation in many ways.
- A seated class discussion.
- Pass the Ball: Students stand in a circle and throw a soft ball to one another. The person who has the ball is the speaker for the moment.)
- Think-Pair-Share: Students form partnerships or small groups to discuss the above topics and prepare to share with the larger group.
- Invite the Canine Ambassador to visit the group and discuss how to greet a dog and safety around dogs. See the resource “Inviting Guest Speakers” with tips.
- Instruct students to take home the “All About Canine Club” document to share with their family.
Download a printable PDF version of this lesson plan HERE.