Search Menu

CGC: Articles

AKC Canine Good Citizen Becomes a Title


On January 1, 2013 Canine Good Citizen® became an official AKC title that can appear on the title records of dogs registered or listed with AKC. Dog owners who complete the CGC as a Title process may list the suffix “CGC” after the dog’s name.

Since the program began in 1989, CGC™ has been considered an “award,” meaning that it has not been listed on a dog’s title record.

As a result of frequent, ongoing requests from dog owners and instructors for AKC to recognize CGC as a title, dog owners will have the option of having CGC added to their dog’s title record and appear as a part of the dog’s titled name.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get the CGC as a Title for my dog?
Evaluators will be distributing a new CGC Test/Registration Form (that you receive when your dog passes the CGC test) which includes the option to select one of these two choices:

  1. CGC as a Title. The processing fee is $25. You will receive the CGC certificate, you may use the suffix “CGC” after the dog’s name, and CGC will be added to the dog’s title record. The dog must be registered or listed with AKC (an AKC number, PAL, or AKC Canine Partners)
  2. CGC certificate only. The processing fee is $15. CGC will not be added to the dog’s title record.

If the CGC Test/Registration Form you receive from your CGC Evaluator does not include these options, complete and attach the “Addendum to the CGC Test/Registration Form” to your CGC Test/Registration Form.

What if my dog already passed the CGC Test? Can I add the title?
Yes. There will be a grandfathering procedure for the new title. Owners of dogs who are on record as having already earned the CGC (i.e., you got a CGC certificate) after January 1, 2001 will be able to apply to have the CGC listed on the dog’s title record.

Simply download and complete the “Add Canine Good Citizen to your Dog’s Title Record (The Grandfathering Form)” form and submit the form with the $20 processing fee.

How can I find CGC Training or a CGC Evaluator in my community?
To find a CGC instructor or an approved AKC CGC Evaluator in your community, see: Finding Classes and Evaluators.

How can I get an AKC number (AKC number, PAL, or AKC Canine Partners)?
To compete or earn AKC titles, your dog must have an AKC number. This number can be one of three types:

  1. An AKC registration number: Your purebred dog has “papers.” You would have received these from the breeder).
  2. A PAL Number (Purebred Alternative Listing): For purebred dogs of AKC breeds with no papers (such as rescue or shelter dogs).
  3. An AKC Canine Partners number: For mixed breed dogs, or dogs otherwise ineligible for AKC registration such as purebreds from other countries that are not AKC recognized breeds. All dogs can enroll in the AKC Canine Partners program.

Reciprocal CGC Titles/Certificates: If a dog passes a CGC test from another country that has a test covering all CGC test items, will AKC recognize the test?
In some cases, yes. Check with If the test you are asking about is approved by AKC, use the form at this link to apply for the AKC CGC certificate/title.

Add Canine Good Citizen to Therapy Dog Titles

Effective July 2015, dogs who are registered with an AKC recognized therapy organization and have earned an AKC Therapy Dog Title may receive the official Canine Good Citizen Title when the owner submits the CGC Therapy Dog Grandfather Application.