Late yesterday evening, the mandatory spay/neuter proposal that was to be considered today by the New Orleans City Council was withdrawn by the ordinance’s sponsor, Councilwoman Cynthia Hedge-Morrell.
The American Kennel Club (AKC) appreciates the Councilwoman’s and her staff’s effort to reach out to responsible dog breeders and owners who voiced strong opposition to the proposal. We also congratulate the dedicated fanciers and enthusiasts who spent countless hours educating the Council and staff about the unreasonableness and unenforceability of mandatory spay/neuter laws.
The AKC continues to urge the City Council to study in-depth any existing animal population and enforcement funding issues that exist in New Orleans, and to work with all interested stakeholder groups in formulating reasonable and enforceable laws that protect public health and safety without harming those breeders and owners who take their responsibilities seriously.
For more information, please contact AKC’s Government Relations Department at (919) 816-3720, or e-mail email@example.com.
ACTION ALERT: New Orleans MSN Vote Scheduled for Thursday, November 5th!
[Monday, November 02, 2009]
The New Orleans City Council is scheduled to consider and vote on Councilwoman Cynthia Hedge-Morrell’s mandatory spay/neuter proposal at its regular meeting on Thursday, November 5th. The American Kennel Club (AKC) strongly opposes this ordinance.
It is imperative that all concerned responsible dog breeders and owners in the New Orleans area again contact the members of the New Orleans City Council and politely yet strongly urge them to oppose this costly, ineffective, and unenforceable proposal. The AKC also encourages all interested parties to attend Thursday’s hearing to show a united front of opposition to the proposal.
If enacted, the ordinance will:
- Require all dogs six months of age or older (with few exceptions) to be spayed or neutered or force owners to purchase costly $50 breeder permits to keep any dog intact.
- Limit female dogs from whelping more than one litter per year, or whelping a litter if the female is younger than 18-months of age.
- Permit the Louisiana SPCA (LA/SPCA), which will be responsible for enforcement of this ordinance, to determine whether or not an applicant for a breeder license has “space determined to be suitable…in which to breed dogs and raise puppies.”
- Impose significant fines for those who are found to be in violation of the ordinance, with the income from the fines to be used to further finance the LA/SPCA’s animal control efforts.
AKC’S OFFICIAL POSITION: The American Kennel Club opposes mandatory spay/neuter laws. Instead, we support reasonable and enforceable laws that protect the welfare and health of purebred dogs and do not restrict the rights of breeders and owners who take their responsibilities seriously. Additionally, we strongly support and actively promote a wide range of programs to educate the public about responsible breeding practices and the responsibilities of dog ownership.
The American Kennel Club is joined by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) and the National Animal Interest Alliance (NAIA) in opposing mandatory spay/neuter laws.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
- All concerned responsible dog breeders and owners in the New Orleans area strongly urged to call and e-mail the City Council members listed below. Politely convey your strong opposition to this ordinance, and urge them to vote against it. Encourage them to instead strengthen enforcement of New Orleans’ existing animal control laws.
Council President Arnie Fielkow (At-Large)
Phone: (504) 658-1060
Fax: (504) 658-1068
Council Vice President Jacquelyn Brechtel Clarkson (At-Large)
Phone: (504) 658-1070
Fax: (504) 658-1077
Councilwoman Shelley Midura (District A)
Phone: (504) 658-1010
Fax: (504) 658-1016
Councilwoman Stacy Head (District B)
Phone: (504) 658-1020
Fax: (504) 658-1025
Councilman James Carter (District C)
Phone: (504) 658-1030
Fax: (504) 658-1037
Councilwoman Cynthia Hedge-Morrell (District D) – ordinance sponsor
Phone: (504) 658-1040
Fax: (504) 658-1048
Councilwoman Cynthia Willard-Lewis (District E)
Phone: (504) 658-1050
Fax: (504) 658-1058
- Attend Thursday’s hearing in opposition to the proposal. If you are planning to attend Thursday’s hearing, please contact Ed Jiminez at firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
Thursday, November 5, 2009
City Hall Council Chamber
1300 Perdido Street
New Orleans, LA 70112
Those attending the meeting are encouraged to arrive at least one hour prior to the meeting’s 10:00 AM start time to secure parking near City Hall. Parking is available at several nearby locations.
For more information and the latest developments on the New Orleans mandatory spay/neuter proposal, please contact AKC’s Government Relations Department at (919) 816-3720, or e-mail email@example.com.
Late yesterday evening, the mandatory spay/neuter proposal that was to be considered today by the…