An Arizona House Committee scheduled a hearing for Wednesday, February 16, on a bill that would prohibit insurance companies from considering the breed of dog a person owns when considering liability, risk, and other factors related to their homeowners and renters insurance coverage.
All responsible dog owners and breeders in Arizona are encouraged to contact the House Government and Elections Committee and ask them to support House Bill 2323. Scroll down for more information.
House Bill 2323 states that for the purposes of homeowner’s or renter’s insurance, the breed of dog may NOT be considered for:
- Determining risk, liability, actual or potential losses, or any other matter relating to claims involving dogs on the premises.
- Surveys and other means of gathering information regarding ownership, possession, or presence of a dog on the premises.
- Findings by legal decisions makers regarding whether a dog is vicious or dangerous as part of determining policy insurance coverage.
Arizona state law already expressly prohibits municipalities from passing laws that target specific breeds of dogs. AKC supports House Bill 2323, which would extend these protections to responsible dog owners seeking insurance coverage, while still holding all dog owners accountable for the actions of their dog, regardless of the breed they choose to own.
Visit www.akcgr.org/bsl for more talking points on this issue.
What You Can Do:
- Express your support through the official “request to speak” system prior to the hearing on February 16. If you have never done this before, you must go to the Capitol and register at one of the kiosks located throughout the House. Once you have registered, you will be able to weigh in on this and future hearings and bills remotely through the legislature’s website. This records your name, location, and position on the bill. You do not actually have to request to speak at the hearing. View more information on this system.
- Contact the members of the House Government and Elections Committee. Respectfully ask them to support responsible dog owners and your freedom of choice in selecting the right breed for you by supporting House Bill 2323. If you own a breed often targeted by insurance companies, and/or if you are a constituent of a committee member, please be sure to mention that when contacting them.
If you are a constituent of a member of the Government and Elections Committee, use the form provided to directly contact the committee. Otherwise, use the contact information below:
Rep. John Kavanagh, Chairman and Sponsor of House Bill 2323 (Dist. 23- Fountain Hills)
Rep. Jake Hoffman, Vice Chairman (Dist. 12- Queen Creek, Gilbert)
Rep. Reginald Bolding, Jr. (Dist. 27 – Laveen, South Phoenix)
Phone: (602) 926-3132
Rep. Judy Burges (Dist. 1- Yavapai County)
Phone: (602) 926-3256
Rep. Frank Carroll (Dist. 22- Sun City West)
Phone: (602) 926-3249
Rep. John Fillmore (Dist. 16- Apache Junction)
Phone: (602) 926-3187
Rep. Alma Hernandez (Dist. 3- Tucson)
Phone: (602) 926-3136
Rep. Jennifer Jermaine (Dist. 18- Chandler)
Phone: (602) 926-3199
Rep. Sarah Liguori (Dist. 18- N. Phoenix, Paradise Valley)
Phone: (602) 926-3300
Rep. Teresa Martinez (Dist. 11- Gold Canyon)
Phone: (480) 882-2697
Rep. Kevin Payne (Dist. 21- Peoria, Surprise, Sun City)
Phone: (602) 926-4854
Rep. Lorenzo Sierra (Dist. 19- Avondale, Goodyear)
Phone: (602) 926-3211
Rep. Christian Solorio (Dist. 30- Phoenix)
Phone: (602) 926-4864
AKC Government Relations continues to monitor legislation in Arizona impacting dog owners and will provide information as it is available. For questions or more information, contact AKC GR at firstname.lastname@example.org.