Car-Sick Canine: Holistic Remedies
A relaxing atmosphere can soothe the anxious canine passenger. There are a few natural remedies that can help a dog prone to car sickness.
Some dogs are susceptible to motion-sickness. Yes, that’s hard to imagine after seeing how excited many dogs become at the mere mention of a ride in a car. Motion-sickness drugs are available for the car-sick canine, but dog owners should consider natural alternatives, say holistic veterinarians. Here are a few suggestions:
- Apply a few drops of lavender or chamomile oil to a cotton ball and place it inside the vehicle about 30 minutes before the car ride. This fills the vehicle with a soothing aroma. (Be sure to remove the cotton ball so your dog doesn’t eat it!)
- Spray a small amount of Dog Appeasing Pheromone (DAP) inside the car.
- Homeopathic remedies such as nux vomica can be given to settle your dog’s stomach.
- Take your dog on short trips to help your pet build a tolerance for longer trips.
- Don’t promote your dog’s anxiety by limiting car rides to trips to the vet’s office.