“Roll over” is a cute trick that is easy and fun to teach your dog. It is helpful if your dog knows the “down” cue before you start teaching this trick.
- Ask your dog to perform a “down” position in front of you.
- Kneel beside your dog and hold a small, yummy treat to the side of their head near their nose.
- Move your hand from their nose toward their shoulder, luring them to roll flat on their side.
- Try this a few times and praise and treat each time they follow the treat and lie flat on their side with their head on the floor.
- Now continue the movement of your hand, holding a treat, once they are lying flat, from their shoulder to their backbone. This should cause them to roll onto their back.
- Continue the moving the treat hand so they roll onto the other side.
- When they are consistently following the treat all the way around in a “roll over,” add the verbal cue “Roll Over.”
- Gradually reduce the hand motion and treat lure, until your dog can perform the trick on just a verbal cue.
- Remember to still praise and reward your dog’s hard work!
AKC is a participant in affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to akc.org. If you purchase a product through this article, we may receive a portion of the sale.