Roll over is a cute trick that is easy and fun to teach your dog. It is helpful if your dog knows the “down” command before you start teaching this trick.
- Ask your dog to perform a “down” position in front of you.
- Kneel beside your dog and hold a small, yummy treat to the side of his head near his nose.
- Move your hand from his nose toward his shoulder luring him to roll flat on his side.
- Try this a few times and praise and treat each time he follows the treat and lies flat on his side with his head on the floor.
- Now continue the movement of your hand, holding a treat, once he is lying flat, from his shoulder to his backbone. This should cause him to roll onto his back.
- Continue the moving the treat hand so he rolls onto the other side.
- When he is consistently following the treat all the way around in a “roll over,” add the verbal cue “Roll Over.”
- Gradually reduce the hand motion and treat lure, until your dog can perform the trick on just a verbal cue.
- Remember to still praise and reward his hard work!
Get Your Free AKC eBook