by AKC Reunite Staff
No matter how hard you try to match your puppies with the right new owner, it doesn’t always work out as planned. Handling the return of a puppy is just one way AKC Reunite microchips and a Puppy Sales Contract Agreement can help protect the lifelong wellbeing of the puppy and establish common understanding between you and the puppy buyer.
You can find many Puppy Sales Contract and Agreement templates online to work from, but only with a microchip number included in the documentation can you positively confirm the identity of the dog is in fact the dog you sold.
Here’s how it works:
- Enroll the puppy’s microchip with AKC Reunite. You can do this for a discount when completing the dog’s AKC Registration.
- When the owner picks up their new puppy, scan the dog’s microchip and explain how microchipping works.
- Then, show where the microchip ID number is located in the contract.
- Next, review the terms of your contract with the puppy buyer, explaining how the microchip ID:
- Is enrolled with AKC Reunite with lifetime protection with no annual fees.
- Will be matched with Veterinary Records when spay/neuter documentation is required for a dog’s agreed upon (Limited) Registration status.
- Helps support your health guarantees.
- Ties back to your return policy.
Should a puppy be returned to you, you will want to have the puppy buyer to provide you with all of the pet’s veterinary records and also complete a “surrender form” that includes the pet’s microchip number. By doing this, the puppy buyer signs ownership rights back to you and you have a clear understanding of the dog’s prior care. You can then transfer the pet’s AKC Reunite enrollment free of charge through your AKC Reunite HUB Account. Your AKC Reunite Sales Representative can help you and be reached at 800-252-7894 or firstname.lastname@example.org, Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5pm Eastern Time.
Whether or not the Terms of your Contract are ever referred to after the puppy goes home, the dog’s microchip enrolled with AKC Reunite provides you peace of mind the puppy is protected for its lifetime with no annual fees. Microchipping your puppies further emphasizes your dedication to the lifelong wellbeing and safety of the puppy. You also help kick-start the pet owner on their path to responsible pet ownership that includes pet identification – along with food, water, shelter, health care, up to date vaccines, socialization, training, and companionship.
Click here to take advantage of exclusive AKC Breeder savings on AKC Reunite Microchips!