AKC Government Relations has just learned that New Mexico House Bill 63, which would prohibit...
AKC Government Relations has just learned that New Mexico House Bill 63, which would prohibit counties and municipalities from enacting breed-specific regulations, is scheduled to be considered by the House Health, Government and Indian Affairs Committee tomorrow, Thursday, January 31.
New Mexico residents are strongly encouraged to contact the members of the committee, as well as their State Representative, and ask them to support House Bill 63.
- House Bill 63 is a short bill that amends the portion of New Mexico statute regarding vicious animals such that municipalities and counties cannot regulate dangerous dogs in any manner that is specific to breed. This would also apply to home rule municipalities.
- A new section is also added to the Dogs and Domesticated Animals article that repeats the same language prohibiting all municipalities and counties from enacting breed-specific regulations.
- If this bill becomes law, New Mexico would become the 12th state to prohibit local governments from enacting breed-specific regulations (California also has a similar law, but still allows for breed-specific mandatory spay-neuter laws). AKC supports House Bill 63 and believes that it protects the rights of responsible dog owners in New Mexico, while still allowing counties and municipalities to enact dangerous dog laws to protect their communities.
- Read AKC talking points on breed-specific legislation
- Read AKC Issue Analysis "Why Breed-Specific Legislation Doesn't Work"
How You Can Help:
- Contact your State Representative and ask them to support House Bill 63. Click here to search for your Representative's name and contact information by typing in your address.
- Consider attending tomorrow's committee hearing and express your support for this measure:
House Health, Government & Indian Affairs Committee
Thursday, January 31, 2013
New Mexico State Capitol, Room 309
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Click here for parking and other information.
- Contact the members of the House Health, Government & Indian Affairs Committee and ask them to pass House Bill 63:
Rep. James Roger Madalena (Chair)
Phone: (505) 986-4840
Rep. Nick L. Salazar (Vice Chair)
Phone: (505) 986-4433
Rep. Alonzo Baldonado
Phone: (505) 986-4227
Rep. Kelly K. Fajardo
Phone: (505) 986-4220
Rep. Nate Gentry
Phone: (505) 986-4757
Rep. Yvette Herrell (Sponsor of House Bill 63)
Phone: (505) 986-4248
Rep. Emily Kane
Phone: (505) 986-4464
Rep. Rodolpho "Rudy" S. Martinez
Phone: (505) 986-4235
Rep. Terry H. McMillan
Phone: (505) 986-4450
Rep. Elizabeth "Liz" Thomson
Phone: (505) 986-4255
Rep. Luciano "Lucky" Varela
Phone: (505) 986-4320
The American Kennel Club Government Relations Department (AKC GR) will continue to closely monitor this bill and provide updates as they become available. For more information, contact AKC GR at (919) 816-3720 or email@example.com.