Becoming a Licensed Judge
AKC Scent Work is a brand new event type. As such, we are faced with the challenge of quickly gathering and preparing a pool of judges--prior to the beginning of Scent Work trials on October 1, 2017. Although AKC Scent Work does differ from Nose Work competitions offered by existing organizations, we are encouraging judges from these other venues to apply to become AKC judges. Please note that the procedure below is temporary; different qualifications will be required once the sport gets on its feet.
Am I Eligible?
Judge Candidates Must:
- Be at least 21 years old.
- Be in good standing with the AKC.
- Meet one of the following criteria:
- Be an NACSW judge, a UKC judge, or an NACSW Certified Instructor.
- Be an AKC Tracking judge who has 1 year of experience competing in Scent Work (or who has titled a dog to NW1 in NACSW or AN in UKC).
- Be any other type of AKC judge who has 3 years of experience competing in Scent Work (or who has titled a dog to NW2 in NACSW or MN in UKC).
- Be a judge from another Scent Work organization who has been judging for 3 years or more (or who has been judging for 1 year AND has titled a dog to NW2 in NACSW or MN in UKC).
- Be a Barn Hunt (BHA) judge who has 5 years competing in Scent Work (or who has titled a dog to NW3 in NACSW or EN in UKC).
- Be a scent work instructor (who is not NACSW Certified) who has 5 years of experience competing in Scent Work (or who has titled a dog to NW3 in NACSW or EN in UKC) AND has volunteered as a steward, runner, trial secretary, trial chairperson, or hide official for at least 5 nose work trials.
Note: An individual who has outstanding Scent Work experience but who doesn't meet the above criteria may still be considered if they submit a video that shows them judging 1 run per element (one at each difficulty level) by AKC rules. Please e-mail ScentWork@akc.org for more information.
Complete and submit the AKC Scent Work Opt-In Judge's Application (the application may be e-mailed or sent snail mail, but e-mail is strongly preferred). Once the application is reviewed and processed you will be directed to an online education course to learn the ins-and-outs of AKC Scent Work and the standards by which you will be expected to judge. After you complete this course and pass a brief quiz, you will be a Regular Status AKC Scent Work judge.
Please e-mail ScentWork@akc.org with any questions.