The annual AKC Breeder of the Year award honors those breeders who have made an impact on their breed and dedicated their lives to improving the health, temperament and quality of purebred dogs.
This year, Helyne E. Medeiros was presented with the 2017 AKC Breeder of the Year award for her Seasyde Pointers at the AKC National Championship presented by Royal Canin.
“We are proud to honor Helyne E. Medeiros with the 2017 AKC Breeder of the Year award," said Dennis B. Sprung, AKC President and CEO. “The Seasyde prefix has been associated with top quality Pointers in the United States and their influence on the breed will be seen for years to come.”
One honoree is chosen from each of the seven groups: Sporting, Hound, Working, Terrier, Toy, Non-Sporting, and Herding. From those seven, one Group winner is selected as “AKC Breeder of the Year” during the championship.
As the 2017 AKC Breeder of the Year recipient, Helyne E. Medeiros will be honored with a commission from a canine portraitist to memorialize a prominent dog from her kennel and her name will be inscribed on a perpetual trophy, both of which will be displayed at the AKC headquarters in New York City.
All seven Group honorees were presented with medallions during the show on December 16, 2017. Group winners included:
- Sporting Group: Helyne E. Medeiros, Seasyde Pointers
- Hound Group: Marie Cotton, Spring Valley Rhodesian Ridgebacks
- Working Group: Zoila (Tina) and Dr. William Truesdale, Hi-Tech Boxers
- Terrier Group: Karen Fitzpatrick, Meadowlake Border Terriers
- Toy Group: Lou Ann King, Loteki Papillons
- Non-Sporting Group: James Dalton, Fabelhaft French Bulldogs
- Herding Group: Steve Leyerly and Bill Shelton, Coventry Pembroke Welsh Corgis
Presentation highlights are available on AKC.org.
Congratulations to all!