A Question We Hear a Bunch: Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

Of all the “can my dog eat…?” questions out there, this is a big one. Here at the AKC, we field many queries from anxious dog owners about what is safe - and what isn’t - for their dog to eat. They range from the obvious (“can dogs eat steak bones?”) to the amusing (“can dogs eat marshmallows?”), to the trendy (“can dogs eat quinoa?”)

The answer about grapes (and this goes for raisins, too) is easy: No.

PetMD points out that grapes and raisins are well documented to have a high toxicity for dogs, though research has yet to pinpoint exactly which substance in the fruit causes the reaction.

Gender, breed, or age of the dog has no influence on the risk of being affected, and since there is no proven amount that is safe, prevention really is the best medicine when it comes to slipping your dog a few grapes and raisins.

Unfortunately, grape/raisin toxicity can even be fatal when ingesting the fruit leads to acute (sudden) kidney failure.


Here are the signs and symptoms that may occur after a toxic ingestion:

* Loss of appetite

* Lethargy, weakness, unusual stillness

* Vomiting and/or diarrhea, often within a few hours

* Abdominal pain (tender when touched)

* Dehydration (signs include panting; dry nose and mouth; pale gums). A quick way to test for dehydration: gently pull up on the skin at the back of the dog’s neck. It should spring back immediately. 

*Diminished amount of urine or complete cessation altogether

* Kidney failure (can be fatal)

If your dog has been affected, diagnosis and treatment are absolutely critical. Make sure to read this: "Grape and Raisin Poisoning in Dogs."

Now that you’ve had your lesson for the day, let us reward you with a video of Cricket the Ibizan Hound eating a slice of watermelon—a fruit that gets our thumbs up.

AKC Most Popular
Dog Names
Female puppy Male puppy