Is your dog considered a rare breed? Do you want an informal way to get some event experience under your belt? A Foundation Stock Service (FSS) Open Show is a perfect way for you and your dog to practice before an official event without any pressure, and is a must-do for anyone new to competing. They are similar to Match Shows but are specifically for owners of FSS breeds. Even though no points are earned towards a Championship, you can earn Certificate of Merit points.
To participate, your dog must be:
- 4 months and older on the day of the event, if competing in 4-6 Class. They must be 6 months for all other classes.
- Have an AKC number via the Foundation Stock Service®(FSS), or, a foreign registration number as defined in Chapter 11, Section 1 of the Rules Applying to Dog Shows
- Be listed with you as an owner of record.
- No handlers can be used, unless they are listed as an owner of record.
- Dogs that are blind are not eligible.
- No dog can compete if it is taped or bandaged or in any way has anything attached to it for medical purposes.
- No one acting in the capacity of Show Secretary or Judge at an FSS Open Show, any member of their immediate household or immediate family, can participate.
Start by making sure your breed is considered part of the Foundation Stock Service (FSS), which is for all breeds not currently AKC registrable. See a list of FSS Breeds here.
Then find an AKC Club near you and ask for a list of FSS Open Show events, or search for them here.
Classes are organized by the age of the puppy (4-6 months; 6-9 months; and 9-12 months), and there is an Open Class for more mature dogs. There are also Bred-By-Exhibitor Classes for owners who bred their dog themselves. At most events, classes are separated by gender.
Before you go, make sure your dog walks well on a leash while they are on your left side; that they are comfortable with other dogs and people; and that they have been recently cleaned and groomed.
Find an Event
With over 22,000 annual events, there is a event for you.
- Resources +