UPDATE: The AKC Virtual Top Dog Challenge is over, but you can see winners and entries below!
Best in Show
|Best in Show||Miniature Schnauzer||GCHP CH Carmel Sky High Wish Upon a Star||Marilyn Jacobs & M Lande & S Soos-Kazel & C Ewer & Y Phelps||Watch|
|2||Bearded Collie||Briarpatch Looking Back||Lucy C Campbell||Watch|
|3||Bulldog||GCH Hug O Bulls All American||Frances Mack||Watch|
|4||Scottish Deerhound||CH Cu Liath Windfall Worthington||Loretta Chowning||Watch|
Are you missing the fun and competition of dog shows? Maybe you always wanted to try conformation but weren’t sure where to start? In these times of social distancing, we invite the dog fancy community to come together virtually to celebrate our beloved dogs in a new way. The AKC Virtual Top Dog Challenge is an online conformation event for AKC-recognized breeds and the Miscellaneous class.
A portion of each $25 entry will be donated by AKC to Take the Lead, a 501c3 organization dedicated to assisting participants in the dog sport who are suffering from life threatening or terminal illnesses, as well as assisting those affected by natural disasters and the COVID-19 pandemic.
How to Enter
To enter the Virtual AKC Top Dog Challenge, visit AKC Shop to purchase your $25 entry. You will receive detailed instructions on how to create and submit a video of your entry that you will upload to the virtual event. Winners will be displayed on the challenge leaderboard once judging completes.
How the Challenge Works
Here’s how the AKC Virtual Top Dog Challenge is structured:
- Dogs must be at least six months of age
- Participants enter into one of two classes in the appropriate breed
- Puppy (at least 6 and under 12 months)
- Open (any entry including CH of record)
- Separate classes for dogs and bitches
- Each class is judged individually and placed 1st-4th
- 1st place from each class (up to 4) is then judged to determine Best of Breed
- Best Puppy selected from the 1st place from the dog & bitch puppy classes
- Each BOB advances to the Group competition to be judged later
- Each Best Puppy advances to the Puppy Group to be judged later
- Groups (regular & puppy) are judged and placed 1st-4th
- Group Winners advance to Best in Show (regular & puppy) to be judged later
- BIS & Reserve BIS selected from each competition
- Puppies could potentially compete in both groups/BIS (if awarded BOB in its breed)
What Should a Video Entry Include?
All entrants are to upload a video of their dog. Video should not exceed two (2) minutes in length and should include the following components:
- Dog in stack from the front, rear and side.
- Display of appropriate oral exam (show front, sides and/or open mouth as appropriate)
- View of dog gaiting from the side, coming & going. (i.e. around the ring & down and back)
- Dog presented in a free-stack
New to conformation and need help learning how to show your dog? Take the AKC Canine College Conformation for Beginners online course for free before you make your video.
Important dates to note:
- Entries Open: Friday, June 5
- Entries close: Friday, June 12, 4PM ET. All video submissions must be uploaded by 11:59PM ET.
- Judging begins: Saturday, June 13
- UPDATED: Breed winners: Friday, June 19
- UPDATED: Group winners: Monday, June 22
- UPDATED: BIS and Best Puppy: Tuesday, June 23
Frequently Asked Questions
Does this event award points toward my dog’s show championship?
No, the virtual event does not award points toward a dog’s show championship. It is meant to encourage owners to keep working with their dogs and provide an enjoyable outlet during this time when there are very few dog shows to attend.
I can’t find my breed or class.
Do a search for your breed’s name in the search box on Clippero.com. This is the quickest and easiest way to find your breed’s challenge.
My entry isn’t uploading. What do I do?
Your video entry’s name needs to be 25 characters or less, and this is a common reason why your video won’t upload properly. If you see this error message when you type in your entry name, shorten the name of the entry until it is less than 25 characters.
If you have other questions about the AKC Virtual Top Dog Challenge, you may send them to email@example.com.