After each AKC Board and Delegate meeting, we’ll update you with the new Rules, Regulations and Policies adopted by the American Kennel Club. To view the updates from the April Board Meeting, see below.
NOHS Changes (effective for events held on or after October 9, 2014):
- The AKC National Owner-Handled Series will be a required special attraction if any special attraction with competition is offered at an event.
- i.e. clubs must offer NOHS at the same event (based on event number) if any special attraction with competition is offered.
- It is not acceptable for NOHS to be offered on Saturday only at a cluster and Best Bred-By to be offered on Sunday.
- All-breed & Group clubs must submit the NOHS Group & Best in Show judge(s) at the same time as their regular judges panel (judges panels are due 18 weeks prior to the closing date).
- Offering the NOHS at your club’s event will count as a major educational activity for compliance to hold future dog shows.
- If all clubs in a cluster are offering NOHS they are eligible for AKC Club Communications to promote the cluster in the media to drive public gate. Clubs can contact firstname.lastname@example.org for direction and assistance.
- AKC NOHS Best Practices are now available on the website.
Judging of Basset Hounds & Bulldogs on Ramps:
In accordance with AKC Board Policy, Basset Hounds and Bulldogs are expected to be judged on the ramp in the Group and Best in Show competitions. This extends to the 4–6 Month Beginner Puppy Competition, the AKC National Owner-Handled Series (NOHS), and all other special attractions that offer Group and BIS competitions. Superintendents/Show Secretaries are expected to make available the proper number of ramps to support this AKC Board Policy. If a circumstance should arise that results in a ramp availability conflict, precedence must be given to the competitions in which an AKC title may be earned.
After each AKC Board and Delegate meeting, well update you with the new Rules, Regulations and…