The first step in finding your perfect puppy is to find a breeder you trust and we make that easy: just look for breeders who are members of our AKC Bred with H.E.A.R.T. program. Breeders that participate in the AKC Bred with H.E.A.R.T. program pledge to uphold the program values of health, education, accountability, responsibility, and tradition.
If you’re a breeder yourself, we invite you to join us in our century long-commitment to advance the health and welfare of all dogs and uphold the following principles:
- HEALTH: You certify that your breeding stock is health tested in accordance with the recommendations of their breed’s AKC Breed Parent Club. Visit our Health Testing Requirements page to see the requirements for your breed(s).
- EDUCATION: Promising that you will pursue AKC-provided or AKC-approved continuing breeder education so that you stay educated on the best breeding practices, including advances in canine health.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Agreeing to comply with the AKC Care and Conditions Policy, including inspections by the AKC, and promising to share health testing and continuing education documentation with AKC.
- RESPONSIBILITY: Accepting responsibility for the health and well-being of the puppies you produce and for complying with all laws regarding the ownership and maintenance of dogs.
- TRADITION: Upholding the AKC’s tradition of breeding purebred dogs that are happy and healthy.
The AKC Bred with H.E.A.R.T. program is free to join. Apply today to showcase your commitment to health testing and continued education.
Apply / Sign in here
Showcase your Bred with H.E.A.R.T. membership with the New AKC Puppy Folders!
Prepare your new owners for raising their puppy with our redesigned AKC Puppy Folders. Bred with H.E.A.R.T. breeders are able to purchase a special edition featuring the Bred with H.E.A.R.T. logo. With more than 125 years of passion for purebred dogs, this customizable folder contains everything your puppy owners need to get started. You can now personalize the AKC Puppy Folder with your business card and the individual puppy information.
Program Details & Benefits
The Bred with H.E.A.R.T. program engages and educates breeders on best practices, including health testing. When you participate, you receive:
- An electronic, printable certificate to display as your proof of membership.
- Discounts on litter registration and microchips.
- Cost-efficient pet recovery services.
- Puppies bred by Bred with H.E.A.R.T. breeders are eligible for discounts through AKC Pet Insurance.
- Favorable search result positioning within AKC Marketplace listings and breeder profiles.
- Marketing and other support to promote your participation on your website.
- Bred with H.E.A.R.T. logo on AKC Puppy Folders.
If you meet the requirements listed here, you can then apply to the program
Who Can Participate
Breeders must meet the following requirements to participate in the Bred with H.E.A.R.T. Program:
- Have registered at least one AKC litter within the past 5 years.
- Be in good standing with the AKC.
- Certify that applicable health screens are performed on breeding stock as recommended by the respective AKC Breed Parent Club and be prepared to supply proof of such compliance upon request.
- Must agree to comply with the AKC Care and Conditions Policy, including inspection(s) by the American Kennel Club or its duly authorized representative.
- Must agree to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding the ownership and maintenance of dogs.
- Must agree to complete AKC-approved and/or AKC-provided continuing breeder education courses annually.
- Must complete the free online application process.
Join the AKC Breeder Rewards Program
AKC Breeders are eligible to participate in the AKC Breeder Rewards Program, powered by AKC Pet Insurance. This program rewards breeders for encouraging their puppy buyers to take responsible steps in new puppy ownership. Breeders can earn up to $10 per puppy for encouraging their puppy buyers to register with the AKC, activate their 30 days of pet insurance coverage, and download the new TailTrax mobile app. There is no cost or commitment to participate. Just sign up and start earning!
Learn more and enroll in the AKC Breeder Rewards Program.
*Independence American Insurance Company, rated A- (Excellent) by AM Best Company, with offices at 485 Madison Ave, NY, NY 10022 and in WA, by American Pet Insurance Company, 6100 4th Ave. S., Seattle, WA 98108. Insurance plans are offered and administered by PetPartners, Inc., a licensed agency. “American Kennel Club,” “AKC” and the AKC logo are trademarks of The American Kennel Club, Inc.; used under license by PetPartners. “AKC Pet Insurance” is the name used by PetPartners to offer and administer insurance plans and is neither an American Kennel Club business nor an insurance company. American Kennel Club does not offer, administer, solicit, market or sell any insurance plans. For complete details refer to www.akcpetinsurance.com/sample-policies. Activation required for 30-day coverage to take effect. Eligibility restrictions apply. For more information, visit www.akcpetinsurance.com/certificate or call 866-725-2747. Discounts are not available in all states. Vet Helpline is included with the 30-days of pet insurance coverage.