The first step to finding your perfect puppy is to find a breeder you trust, and we make that easy: Just look for breeders who are members of our AKC Bred with H.E.A.R.T. program.
If you’re a breeder yourself, we invite you to join us in our century long-commitment to advance the health and welfare of all dogs and uphold the following principles:
- HEALTH: You certify that your breeding stock is health tested in accordance with the recommendations of their breed’s AKC Breed Parent Club. Visit our Health Testing Requirements page to see the requirements for your breed(s).
- EDUCATION: Promising that you will pursue AKC-provided or AKC-approved continuing breeder education so that you stay educated on the best breeding practices, including advances in canine health.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Agreeing to comply with the AKC Care and Conditions Policy, including inspections by the AKC, and promising to share health testing and continuing education documentation with AKC.
- RESPONSIBILITY: Accepting responsibility for the health and well-being of the puppies you produce and for complying with all laws regarding the ownership and maintenance of dogs.
- TRADITION: Upholding the AKC’s tradition of breeding purebred dogs that are happy and healthy.
The AKC Bred with H.E.A.R.T. program is free to join. Apply today to showcase your commitment to health testing and continued education.
Program Details & Benefits
The Bred with H.E.A.R.T. program engages and educates breeders on best practices, including health testing. When you participate, you receive:
- A certificate to display as your proof of membership.
- Discounts on litter registration and microchips.
- Cost-efficient pet recovery services.
- Favorable search result positioning within AKC Marketplace listings and breeder profiles.
- Marketing and other support to promote your participation on your website.
Who Can Participate
- Have registered at least one AKC litter within the past 5 years.
- Be in good standing with the AKC.
- Certify that applicable health screens are performed on breeding stock as recommended by the respective AKC Breed Parent Club and be prepared to supply proof of such compliance upon request.
- Must agree to comply with the AKC Care and Conditions Policy, including inspection(s) by the American Kennel Club or its duly authorized representative.
- Must agree to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding the ownership and maintenance of dogs.
- Must agree to complete AKC-approved and/or AKC-provided continuing breeder education courses annually.
- Must complete the free online application process.