Here are some guidelines for conducting the test:
- When submitting a hunt test video it must be continuous and without interruption or editing.
- Try not to retest in any phase, other than if it is clear the dog was not tracking a thrown towel during Chase Retrieve or Hidden Grass. If you find yourself trying 3 times you must assign the dog the lowest score.
- Most of the camera angles work, but make sure the dog’s head is being recorded while attentive to the person hiding the towel in Hidden 1 and Hidden 2.
- This is an assessment of the dog’s natural inclinations, not obedience. Use minimal control and remember that any correction will highly impact the pup’s performance.
- When using a long line/check line be acutely aware of where the line is when the pup takes off running. Leash burns hurt!
- If you purchase new flower pots, make sure you rinse them and leave them outside for a week or so before testing. Sometimes their odor can be very strong.
- Make sure the towels have been left in a container with your target odor for a couple of weeks before testing. After the test, rewash them in odor free detergent and then again in a wash cycle with no detergent, Dry without using dryer sheets. The cheap cotton bulk wash cloths or hand towels will shrink considerably.
- Roll the towels very tightly and have second towel at the ready. The towels should be secured with nothing but cotton string to prevent a contamination of odor. The diameter should be appropriate to the size of the dogs mouth.