AKC and Bayer, K9 Advantix® Announce Winners of Veterinary Technician Scholarships
Twenty-Five Vet Tech Students Honored
The American Kennel Club® (AKC®) and Bayer, K9 Advantix® along with the National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America (NAVTA), are pleased to announce the winners of the AKC/ Bayer K9 Advantix Veterinary Technician Scholarship.
Twenty-five scholarships in the amount of $1,000 were awarded to students from 21 American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) accredited schools of veterinary technology.
The AKC has awarded annual scholarships to veterinary students since 1991 and in 2005 expanded the program to include veterinary technicians.
"Bayer has dedicated itself to improving the health of pets, and we know that veterinary technicians share our mission of striving to offer the best possible care," said Fiona McLellan, Marketing Manager - Bayer. "We are delighted to join AKC as a proud sponsor of the veterinary technician scholarship and to recognize the important work vet techs do everyday, providing assistance to veterinarians, clients and most importantly their patients."
"AKC’s Veterinary Outreach program works to provide resources that can assist the veterinary profession in providing the best care for dogs," said Debra Bonnefond, Director of the AKC Veterinary Outreach Program. "Veterinary technicians play an integral role in the success of vet practices and we are happy that these scholarships will aid students that will have an impact on the health and well-being of thousands of dogs in the future."
"Formal academic programs for vet techs have become necessary to meet the expanding demands of the veterinary profession," said Andrea Ball, Executive Director, NAVTA. "We are pleased by the support that AKC and Bayer have offered our dedicated student members as the students strive to continue their education."
To be eligible, candidates must be current, full-time students at an AVMA-accredited Veterinary Technician school and be a NAVTA student member or a member of a NAVTA Student Chapter. Scholarship recipients are selected on the basis of academic achievement, activities in the small animal, exotics, and research areas, and activities in NAVTA and SCNAVTA.
AKC/Bayer K9® Advantix Veterinary Technicians Scholarships 2008
- Lisa Paquette - AB Tech College
- Gregory Lucero - Anthem College
- Elizabeth Parsons - Athens Technical College
- Rachael Eaker - Bel-Rea Institute
- Charles Cubbinson - Community College of Denver
- Rebekah Boan - Central Carolina Community College
- Mary Beth Boland - Harcum College
- Hannah DeBusk - Lincoln Memorial University
- Katrina Marshall - Lincoln Memorial University
- Kristin Price - Macomb Community College
- Sheena Rhiner - Madison Area Technical College
- Kristine Ann Dunkle - Mercy College
- Christine Fraser - Mercy College
- Diane Whipple - MN School of Business
- Patrick Hennigan - Mount Ida College
- Sierra Sumpf - Mount Ida College
- Crystal Madison - National American University
- Kendra Cloos - North Dakota State University
- Rachel Fritz - North Dakota State University
- Lisa Rishel-Marzban - Pierce College
- Kaitlyn Wojdyla - SUNY Delhi
- Kimberly Wilson - SUNY Ulster Community College
- Shelly Myers - Truckee Meadows Community College
- Michelle Hiday - Vermont Technical Institute
- Jerricka Thompson-Jones - Wayne Count Community College