Animated, adaptable and agile, the Australian Shepherd lives for his job, which still involves herding livestock and working as an all-purpose farm and ranch dog. He needs a lot of activity and a sense of purpose to be truly content. Today, due to the breed's intelligence and versatility, "Aussies" also excel in AKC events such as agility, obedience and herding. Their coats can be black, blue merle, red merle and red with or without white markings.
- Personality: Smart, work-oriented, exuberant
- Energy Level: Very Active; True working dogs, unemployment doesn't agree with these guys.
- Good with Children: Yes
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Independent
- Height: 20-23 inches (male), 18-21 inches (female)
- Weight: 55-70 pounds (male), 35-55 pounds (female)
- Life Expectancy: 13-15 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary