From the 1920’s and 1940’s when trick dogs such as Rin Tin Tin and Lassie won peoples’ hearts, trick dog training has become one of the most exciting new areas in dog training today.
TRICK DOG TITLE INFO:
AKC Trick Dog titles are official AKC titles listed on the dog’s title record.
The processing fee for each title is $20. Multiple titles for the same dog can be sent in together, each one will be processed in succession after each previous title has been added and printed.
Dogs must have an AKC, PAL, or AKC Canine Partners number to earn a title.
All dogs can get a number including purebreds and mixed breeds.
5 TRICK DOG TITLES:
- Novice Trick Dog (TKN)
The dog performs 10 skills from the Novice list. (see link to “Application” below for lists of skills). If a dog has a Canine Good Citizen (CGC) certificate or title on record at AKC, it can do 5 Novice tricks (CGC + 5) to earn the Novice title.
- Intermediate Trick Dog (TKI)
The dog must have the Novice title, plus perform 10 Intermediate tricks.
- Advanced Trick Dog (TKA)
The dog must have the Intermediate title, plus perform 10 tricks from the Advanced list.
- Trick Dog Performer (TKP)
In this title, handlers perform a short routine with at least 10 tricks previously learned.
- Trick Dog Elite Performer (TKE)
Testing of this truly elite trick dog level requires the dog to perform 10 tricks with at least 5 props and there must be a story.
THERE ARE TWO WAYS YOU CAN EARN AKC TRICK DOG TITLES:
AKC TRICK TITLES
1) Perform the tricks (from the check list in the Title Application) in the presence of an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator. The Title Application will need to accompany the check list for the particular title you are applying for.
GRANDFATHERED TITLES FROM DMWYD
2) AKC will recognize Do More With Your Dog!™ (DMWYD) titles at Novice, Intermediate, Advanced, and Expert levels. The Title Application will need to accompany proof of the DMWYD title being earned, such as a copy of the actual title. FOR AKC TO ACCEPT THE DMWYD TITLE, THE DMWYD EVALUATOR MUST BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD.
As of March 18, 2018, AKC will recognize DMWYD Stunt Dog titles including Novice, Open, Proven, and Professional. The DMWYD Champion Stunt Dog title is not listed by AKC.
If you have a DMWYD Intermediate Trick Dog certificate, send the AKC Intermediate Trick Dog application with the $20 title fee and AKC will issue your AKC Intermediate Trick Dog title.
If you have a DMWYD Advanced Trick Dog title, send the AKC Advanced Trick Dog Application with the $20 title fee and AKC will issue your AKC Advanced Trick Dog title.
If you would like to earn the AKC Trick Dog Performer title, send a copy of your DMWYD Expert Trick Dog or Champion Trick Dog certificate, along with the $20 title fee, the AKC Trick Dog Application for the Performer level.
For more information about the Trick Dog Program check out our Frequently Asked Questions.