From the 1920’s and 1940’s when trick dogs such as Rin Tin Tin and Lassie won peoples’ hearts, trick dog training has become one of the most exciting new areas in dog training today.
TRICK DOG TITLE INFO:
AKC Trick Dog titles are official AKC titles listed on the dog’s title record.
The processing fee for each title is $25. Multiple titles for the same dog can be sent in together, each one will be processed in succession after each previous title has been added and printed.
Dogs must have an AKC, PAL, or AKC Canine Partners number to earn a title.
All dogs can get a number including purebreds and mixed breeds.
5 TRICK DOG TITLES:
- Novice Trick Dog (TKN)
The dog performs 10 skills from the Novice list. (see link to “Application” below for lists of skills). If a dog has a Canine Good Citizen (CGC) certificate or title on record at AKC, it can do 5 Novice tricks (CGC + 5) to earn the Novice title.
- Intermediate Trick Dog (TKI)
The dog must have the Novice title, plus perform 10 Intermediate tricks.
- Advanced Trick Dog (TKA)
The dog must have the Intermediate title, plus perform 10 tricks from the Advanced list.
- Trick Dog Performer (TKP)
In this title, handlers perform a short routine with at least 10 tricks previously learned.
- Trick Dog Elite Performer (TKE)
Testing of this truly elite trick dog level requires the dog to perform 10 tricks with at least 5 props and there must be a story.
HOW TO EARN AKC TRICK DOG TITLES
AKC TRICK TITLES
- You can do in-person testing with an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator. The Title Application and Checklist for the particular title(s) you are applying for should be sent to AKC.
- You can have your tricks tested virtually by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator.
For help finding an evaluator for in-person or virtual testing, email firstname.lastname@example.org
GRANDFATHERED TITLES FROM DMWYD
AKC will recognize Do More With Your Dog!™ (DMWYD) titles at the Novice, Intermediate, Advanced, and Expert levels. To grandfather a DMWYD title, send proof of the title (DMWYD certificate) plus the AKC Title Application and fee(s).
FOR AKC TO ACCEPT THE DMWYD TITLE, THE DMWYD EVALUATOR MUST BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD.
AKC recognizes DMWYD Stunt Dog titles including Novice, Open, Proven, and Professional. The DMWYD Champion Stunt Dog title is not listed by AKC.
FEES FOR GRANDFATHERING TITLES
- If you have a DMWYD Intermediate Trick Dog certificate, to get the AKC Intermediate Trick Dog title, send AKC proof of your DMWYD title (i.e. certificate) along with the AKC Trick Dog Title Application. If you have not earned any AKC Trick Dog titles, you would pay $25 for the AKC Novice title, plus $25 for the Intermediate title to grandfather in at the Intermediate level.
For more information about the Trick Dog Program check out our Frequently Asked Questions.