Sure, you think your dog is fast. But have you ever wondered how fast? Can your dog outrun Usain Bolt, who has been called the fastest runner in the world? They just might: Usain’s fastest time has been clocked at almost 28 mph – yet dogs have been known to reach speeds of 35-45 mph.
Well, you no longer have to wonder how fast your dog can run. Fast CAT® – which stands for Coursing Ability Test – is a timed 100-yard dash where dogs run one at a time, chasing a lure. It’s over before you know it — and it’s nothing short of awe-inspiring to watch your dog run at top speed, ears back, eyes focused, legs strong. And if your dog is really fast, you might earn bragging rights if their name makes onto our list of top 20 fastest dogs by breed! All dogs can participate in Fast CAT, whether purebred or mixed breed.
Although it is a relatively new sport, its popularity has spread like wildfire. No wonder. According to one AKC official, “The Fast CAT® provides a terrific opportunity to introduce new participants to the world of AKC sports as one of the few events where all that is needed to compete is a dog’s natural instincts.”
To participate in FAST CAT®, your dog must be:
- At least 12 months of age.
- Have an AKC number via one of the following:
- AKC Registration as one of the AKC’s recognized breeds.
- AKC Canine Partners, which is for mixed-breed dogs and dogs ineligible for AKC registration.
- Purebred Alternative Listing (PAL) program, which is for purebred dogs that cannot be fully registered with the AKC to participate in AKC events.
- Foundation Stock Service®(FSS), which is for recorded breeds on the road to full AKC recognition.
- Spayed and neutered dogs are eligible to compete in these events and are welcome.
- Dogs with Limited or Conditional Registration are eligible to participate.
- Females in season are not eligible to participate.
An inspection committee will also inspect each dog for lameness and fitness to compete.
Your first step to learn about FAST CAT® is to call or visit your a local AKC club and see if they offer one or both of the two types of tests: Lure Coursing or the Coursing Ability Test. You can also ask to speak with someone who has already taken part in FAST CAT® as they would be more than happy to share their expertise with you.
Then it’s very easy to participate: Just fill out an entry form that you can get from your local AKC club’s premium list.
Find An Event
With over 22,000 annual events, there is a sport for you.
- Resources +
Actions to Help AKC CAT and Fast CAT Clubs Impacted by COVID19
The AKC Performance Events Department has been processing numerous event cancellations as the COVID19 virus continues to spread throughout the country. Clubs and participants are encouraged to view the AKC Performance Events Cancellation Listing page to see which events have been cancelled.
To ease some burdens or bring clarity to now commonly experienced situations during these troubling times, CAT and Fast CAT clubs should be aware of the following:
- Clubs are reminded to inform the Performance Events Department if they have to cancel their event by calling: 919-816-3908 or sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Any club that notifies the Performance Events Department that their event is cancelled due to the COVID19 virus will automatically retain their corresponding date for 2021 unless the club asks the Performance Events Department otherwise. This has been implemented since COVID19 cancellations were first received.
- AKC Event Application fees which were paid for a cancelled event will be credited towards the club’s next event of the same type provided the club has notified the AKC Performance Events Department by calling 919-816-3908 or emailing email@example.com.
- All late fees for event applications will be waived through October 31, 2020 in order to provide clubs flexibility in scheduling their events.
- A cancelled event will not count against the total number of events allowed per year.
- Clubs at their option can now send copies of their results including their Secretary Report in PDF format via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Clubs will then be contacted to confirm receipt and handle their event service fees by phone.
- Information regarding the government stimulus package, referred to as the Federal CARES (Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security) Act has been posted to the Government Relations webpage.
The AKC Performance Events Department wants to assist clubs as much as possible during these unprecedented times. Please feel free to reach Performance Events at 919-816-3908 or email@example.com for any questions you may have. We hope you and your club members stay well and keep safe.