WELCOME TO VIRTUAL HOME MANNERS!
If you have trained your puppy or adult dog at home and would like to earn the AKC’s Virtual Home Manners titles to demonstrate your accomplishments, this is the place for you!
Virtual Home Manners (VHM) is the answer when you want to train your dog at home. When you get a puppy or new adult dog, Virtual Home Manners can get you started on practical skills before you attend a training class.
The evaluation of a dog’s ability to perform ten home manners skills will be done by a video recording. Two levels of Home Manners will be offered – Virtual Home Manners Puppy (VHMP) and Virtual Home Manners Adult (VHMA). Dogs that pass the tests will be awarded these titles.
The Virtual Home Manners tests assess ten skills that well-mannered pet dogs need in the home setting. The skills relate to the dog owner having control over the dog, being able to walk the dog (which is one of the most frequently cited activities that owners want to do with their dogs) and developing a bond with the dog during playtime.
The Virtual Home Manners tests are evaluated online by CGC Evaluators in the same manner that is currently used for Virtual Tricks. There is not an in-person VHM testing process. Virtual Home Manners is natural lead-in for AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy and Canine Good Citizen (CGC) in-person training.
To earn the Virtual Home Manners titles, follow these easy steps:
- Dog owners will video their dogs performing the required skills (on the VHM checklists).
- A link to the video will be sent to an Approved AKC CGC Evaluator. Zoom and other live formats may also be used for evaluating Virtual Home Manners. To contact an evaluator, see: https://webapps.akc.org/cgc-evaluator/#/
Another option is to have your video viewed by AKC. To do this, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- After watching the video, if the dog passes, the Evaluator will send the combined Checklist/Video Verification Form to the dog owner. The Evaluator will also send a copy of this form to AKC.
- The dog owner will send to AKC:
1) the Checklist/Video Verification, and 2) the Virtual Home Manners Title Application form along with a fee of $25.00.
Sponsored by GoodPup
How Today’s Best Dogs Train