On Tuesday, March 7, 2023, the New Hampshire Senate Judiciary Committee will hear public testimony on SB 268, allowing for pre-hospital treatment and transportation for police K-9s injured in the line of duty if no human needs transport or ambulance services.
The American Kennel Club (AKC) values the contribution that working and detection dogs make to national security and the extraordinary role that these dogs play in protecting the peace and security of individuals, communities, and nations. We honor the breeders, trainers, and handlers of these dogs, and support breeding programs to ensure that sufficient high quality domestically-bred dogs are available to ensure public safety and national security. Providing specialized care to assure the wellbeing of these dogs is a high AKC priority.
WHAT YOU CAN DO: New Hampshire residents are strongly encouraged to electronically register support of SB 268 by emailing members of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee.
- Click on the Senate standing committee list here.
- Scroll down to “Judiciary” Committee
- Select “Email Entire Committee”
- Your email will populate with members’ email addresses
- In the subject line, type “SUPPORT SB 268”
Consider including the following talking points:
- Police K-9s are valuable assets trained for drug, bomb, and arson detection, as well as tracking to locate missing persons or fugitives.
- Emergency medical care providers have skills that can prevent prolonged police K-9 suffering from any injury sustained while working.
- Support SB 268 so police K-9s can receive the emergency treatment and transport they deserve.
In addition, you may speak in person at the March 7, 2023, Senate Committee hearing in Room 100 of the State House, 107 North Main Street, Concord, NH 03301. Sign in to testify when you arrive. The hearing on SB 268 starts at 1 PM.
For more information on these or other legislative issues in New Hampshire, contact AKC’s Government Relations Department at 919-816-3720 or firstname.lastname@example.org; or the Dog Owners of the Granite State at email@example.com.