Search Menu

Next Tuesday, January 11, 2022, the New Hampshire Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee will hear public testimony on SB 368, relative to pet vendor licenses.  This bill would require the ownership of all animals housed in the licensed portion of a pet vendor’s premises to be transferred to another person within 30 days of the revocation of a pet vendor’s license.

The American Kennel Club (AKC) and the New Hampshire Dog Owners of the Granite State (NH DOGS) believe that it is imperative that if license revocation is the result of animal mistreatment, it must be dealt with under New Hampshire’s existing animal cruelty laws.  Taking an individual’s personal property, specifically their animals, for any other reason is a serious legal matter with constitutional considerations that are not addressed by the current wording of SB 368.  AKC and NH DOGS will be expressing strong concerns with the bill’s text on a conference call later this week with the state’s Commissioner of Agriculture, who requested the bill be drafted and filed.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:  New Hampshire residents are strongly encouraged to electronically register your opposition to the bill by filling out this form.

  1. Click on the bill hearing date, January 11, 2022.
  2. Under the drop-down menu, select “Senate Energy and Natural Resources” and bill “SB368”.
  3. Select I am “A member of the public” representing “myself”.
  4. Then indicate you are opposed to this bill.
  5. You will need to provide your name and address before submitting your position.

Express your concerns about SB 368’s constitutionality, specifically the high chance of the unconstitutional erroneous deprivation of property, by emailing committee staff directly at

In addition, you may speak in person at the January 11, 2022, Senate Committee hearing in Room 103 of the State House, 107 North Main Street, Concord, NH 03301.  Sign in to testify when you arrive. The hearing starts at 9 AM.  SB 368 is scheduled to be taken up at 10 AM.

For more information on these or other legislative issues in New Hampshire, contact AKC’s Government Relations Department at 919-816-3720 or; or the Dog Owners of the Granite State at