As previously reported, a problematic animal ordinance is under consideration by the Montgomery City Council. It is on the agenda for a vote tomorrow, May 3, 2022. Concerned animal owners in Montgomery are urged to immediately contact city council members to state their continued opposition.
Certain provisions of the proposed ordinance have been amended, and additional amendments may be pending. For example, in response to constituent concerns, the proposed ordinance was positively amended so that it no longer outlaws all animal events in the city. However, grave concerns remain with certain sections of the proposed ordinance, including:
- The substitute proposed ordinance continues to require obtaining a $150 annual permit (now amended to be obtained from the City of Montgomery Revenue Department) to engage in an “animal enterprise.” Requirements for obtaining a business license, problematic recording keeping requirements, and inspections remain.
- The proposal seeks to grant unclear and inconsistent enforcement authority to several entities.
Additional amendments may be pending.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
- Contact the mayor and city council members to respectfully state your opposition to sections of the proposed animal ordinance.
- Request a copy of any additional amendments that have been made or that are proposed to be made. Ask your elected representative for this information or contact the City Clerk’s office at 334-625-2195.
- If additional amendments to the ordinance are forthcoming, ask city council members to provide time for constituents to fully review and discuss any amendments with their elected officials prior to any vote being held.
- Attend the City Council meeting on May 3, 2022 to voice opposition to problematic sections of the proposed ordinance. For additional meeting information and to learn how to sign up to be recognized to speak, contact the City Clerk’s office at 334-625-2195.
Mayor Steven L. Reed
City Council Members:
Brantley W. Lyons
Cell Phone: 334-557-4196
Cell phone: 334-721-6003
Cell Phone: 334-833-2079
Cornelius (CC) Calhoun
Cell Phone: 334-399-3360
Oronde K. Mitchell
Cell Phone: 334-221-5975
Cell Phone: 334-245-0874
Glen O. Pruitt, Jr.
Cell Phone: 334-300-3611
Charles W. Jinwright
For additional information, please contact AKC Government Relations at email@example.com or 919-816-3720.
If you are not directly receiving AKC’s legislative alerts by email, please click here to sign up.