On Thursday, March 23, 2023, the Maine Committee on the Judiciary will accept public testimony on LD 679, An Act Regarding Animals Abandoned by Tenants.
The bill would (1) define “abandoned animal” and “unclaimed animal;” (2) require tenants provide landlords the name and address of an individual authorized to retrieve their pet within 24 hours if the animal becomes abandoned or unclaimed; and (3) after providing notice, authorize a landlord to place any pet, not retrieved within 48 hours, with an animal shelter, animal control officer or police officer.
The American Kennel Club (AKC) encourages dog owners impacted by LD 679 to share their comments with the Judiciary Committee before March 23, 2023.
WHAT YOU CAN DO: Register to testify via zoom or submit your testimony.
- Go to the Maine State Legislature website here and select “public hearing”.
- Scroll down to “Choose a committee” and select “Judiciary” from the drop-down menu.
- Select date “Mar 23, 2023, 1PM” and choose bill “LD 679”.
- Select your position. If you wish, you can add comments and/or upload written testimony in a file. You may also check the box allowing you to testify electronically over zoom. (A link will be sent to you.)
- Complete your contact information and hit the “submit/register” button.
You may also speak in person at the 1PM, March 23, 2023, public hearing. Sign in when you arrive at Room 438, Cross Building, 100 State House Station, Augusta, Maine 04333. Bring 20 copies of any written testimony you wish to submit to committee members.
For more information on these or other legislative issues in Connecticut, contact AKC’s Government Relations Department at 919-816-3720 or firstname.lastname@example.org.