Go shopping before you welcome a new puppy into your home.
New dog owners should realize that a puppy requires a lot of care and attention. It’s best to make a shopping list and head to a pet store before you bring your new puppy home.
Here are some basics you’ll need for your new puppy:
- Food designed specifically for puppies
- Treats for training
- Food and water dishes
- Crate (to be replaced by a bigger one as he grows)
- Puppy housetraining pads
- Bedding (at least 2 sets)
- Dog gate(s)
- Soft, adjustable collar (and new ones as he grows)
- At least one 4- to 6-foot leash, leather or webbing (an additional longer lead useful for training)
- At least 5 or 6 safe chew toys (the more the better—toys can be rotated)
- A soft-bristle brush and sturdy metal comb
- Gentle puppy shampoo
- Good-quality dog nail trimmer