Autumn marks the season for all things pumpkin. Dogs, too, love the taste of pumpkin, and it can even offer some health benefits (like relief from both diarrhea and constipation.) But since dogs can’t join you in sipping that pumpkin spiced latte, we’ve found some ways you can help them enjoy the flavors of fall.
Note: Make sure you offer only canned pureed pumpkin, not canned pumpkin pie mix, which has added sugars and spices. As with any treat, give your dog these snacks in moderation.
Here are three simple pumpkin recipes for dogs with four ingredients or less:
- Frozen pumpkin dog treats
- Peanut butter and pumpkin dog treats
- Banana pumpkin dog treats
Frozen Pumpkin Dog Treats
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- Mix pumpkin and yogurt together in a bowl
- Divide the mixture evenly into an ice tray or molds
- Freeze for 24 hours
- Pop the treats out of the mold and put into a freezer bag for storage. You can also leave them in the ice tray if you have space in your freezer!
These molds are perfect for creating frozen dog treats for your pup. The pack comes with five different trays in both paw print and bone shapes. You can also use the trays for ice! Price: $10
Peanut Butter and Pumpkin Dog Treats
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (make sure it is Xylitol-free)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F
- In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin and peanut butter
- Stir in the flour and combine the mixture into a dough
- Roll out the dough onto a floured surface
- Cut the dough into shapes with your favorite cookie cutter
- Place the treats half an inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet
- Bake for 12 minutes
Banana Pumpkin Dog Treats
- 3 cups whole wheat flour + extra for dusting counter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 banana, mashed
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix eggs, banana and pumpkin together. Add flour and mix until all the flour is incorporated.
- Lightly dust the counter and a rolling pin with flour, then roll out dough to approximately 1/8″ and cut out treats.
- Lay on a baking sheet and bake for approximately 20 minutes. Cool completely before giving to your pup!
Don’t Feel Like Cooking?
Life with dogs can be busy. Here are a few pumpkin treats for your dog that you can buy instead of cooking!
Keep your dog satisfied with these organic pumpkin and coconut flavored dog treats. The treats are made with the finest human-grade ingredients available. No added sugar, salt, preservatives, artificial colors or flavors. The pumpkin and coconut flavored treats are packed with powerhouse ingredients that are rich in vitamins, iron, manganese, and fiber. Price: $13
These all-natural yummy pumpkin dog treats are made with premium ingredients and no artificial preservatives. They are 100% USDA Certified Organic and made in the USA. Price: $10
Is your dog toy motivated rather than treat motivated? This is a pumpkin your dog can really cuddle up with. Price: $10