Summer officially arrives next month, but hot temperatures have already hit many areas of the country. Get your kennel ready for the warm weather and assure your dogs are comfortable and avoid heat stroke even on the hottest days.
- Clean and service your fans and air conditioners prior to using them.
- Make sure your dogs have plenty of sturdy shade that will not blow away or shred in high winds.
- Keep the dogs’ exercise/play yards mowed and edged to reduce pests.
- With the good weather, it is a great time to make repairs. Freshen up things from the winter months and add some curb appeal to your facilities and sites.
- Think about adding a water element for your dogs to cool off, such as a wading pool in the play yards. But make sure they have a separate sturdy water bucket or bowl for fresh drinking water. Keep the buckets and bowls under shade to assure that drinking water stays cool.
Here are a few more tips on how to keep your dog cool during the hot summer months.