Parent Club Best Practices Mission Statement
Welcome to the Best Practices resource documents and links created by the Parent Club Best Practices Committee. Our committee was formed in the early months of 2020 and represents the collective efforts of nearly a dozen AKC Delegates, Parent Club Presidents or Officers and AKC Staff.
Our overarching goal has been to create a roadmap for success by isolating and defining those components which are critical to the successful operation of an AKC Parent Club. Our final product documents existing practices within Parent Clubs of varying sizes to provide a template that allows them to compare and contrast their practices with other clubs.
Throughout the reading, remember one major tenet of the presentation:
There is no one best and only way to run a Parent Club.
We hope you find much to use in the following sections which will show the topic heading, author, and links. The list below details the subject discussed in the outlines. In some cases, there are supporting documents which expand on the outlined ideas.
Each of these topics will be covered in a series of Zoom webinars we’ve designed to highlight many of our committee’s findings.
Don James, Chair
Parent Club Best Practices Subcommittee
This article is published with the understanding that the author and publisher are not engaged in rendering legal, tax, financial, accounting, insurance or other professional services. Laws vary from state to state, and if legal, tax, finance, accounting, insurance advice or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional should be sought. The author and publisher specifically disclaim any liability, loss or risk, personal or otherwise, which is incurred as a consequence, directly or indirectly, of the use and application of any of the contents of this article.
- Club Organization - Cindy Stansell, Finnish Spitz Club of America +
- Governance & Elections - Jim Cheskawich, Samoyed Club of America +
- Club Finances - Cindy Stansell, Finnish Spitz Club of America +
- Membership - Alyson Casper, Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever Club +
- Committees - Richard Rohrbacher, Welsh Springer Spaniel Club of America +
- Club Insurance - Written by Jon Green, presented by Cindy Stansell, Finnish Spitz Club of America +
- Judges Education & Mentoring - Don Hanson, American Lhasa Apso Club +
- Breeder Education & Mentoring - Mari-Beth O'Neill, AKC Staff +
- Health - Susanne Burgess, English Springer Spaniel Field Trial Association +
- Club Websites - Don James, Leonberger Club of America +
- Social Media & Club Publications - Don James, Leonberger Club of America +
- Public Education - Don Hanson, American Lhasa Apso Club +
- Planning & Staging the National Specialty - Karen Burgess, Greater Clark County Kennel Club +
- Juniors - Mari-Beth O'Neill, AKC Staff +
- Planning for the Future - All Committee Members +