National Champion Beats Thousands of Dogs from All 50 States and Over 50 Countries
National Obedience Champion and Best Junior Handler are Repeat Winners!
Orlando, FL (Dec. 16, 2012) – The AKC/Eukanuba National Championship Best in Show honors and $50,000 in prize money went to GCH CH Afterall Painting the Sky, a Wire Fox Terrier known affectionately as “Sky” owned by V. Malzoni Jr., T. Steele, S . & M. Olund and Diane Ryan of Rialto, CA. Before a full house at the Orange County Convention Center Sunday night “Sky” was crowned “National Champion” by Best in Show judge Mr. Edd E. Bivin after a weekend of intense canine competition.
The AKC/Eukanuba National Championship, recognized as one of the most prestigious dog shows in the world, was joined by a range of canine sporting events under one roof including the Eukanuba World Challenge; the AKC Agility Invitational; the AKC National Obedience Invitational; Junior events in conformation, obedience and agility; and the Orlando cluster shows. The five-day dog celebration topped all other dog events in the nation with over 15,500 combined entries.
New this year was the nation’s largest canine extravaganza, Celebrate Dogs!, which featured dozens of dog-centric activities like the Eukanuba SuperDogs®, AKC Meet the Breeds® booths, DockDogs®, Eukanuba Extreme Soccer Dogs, appearances by celebrity dogs and a canine shopping mall with holiday gifts for dog lovers.
The AKC/Eukanuba National Championship will be telecast on the ABC Television Network on Saturday, February 2, 2013. Check local listings for airtimes.
Reserve Best in Show and Group Winners
Reserve Best in Show: GCH CH Shiraz California Dreamin’, a Saluki owned by Nicklas & Ingunn Eriksson of Sweden.
After winning Best of Breed competitions the following top dogs went on to win in their respective groups and compete for Best in Show:
Sporting: GCH CH Casablanca’s Thrilling Seduction, a Black Cocker Spaniel known as “Beckham” owned by B. Vandeman, C. Douglas, M. Walker and L. Moore of Dallas, Texas.
Hound: GCH CH Shiraz California Dreamin’, a Saluki owned by Nicklas & Ingunn Eriksson of Sweden.
Working: GCH CH Catanya’s Latin Lover, an Alaskan Malamute known as “Ricky” owned by PJ Kendrick, Armando Martinez and Alisa Syar of Granite Bay, CA.
Terrier: GCH CH Afterall Painting the Sky, a Wire Fox Terrier known as “Sky” owned by V. Malzoni Jr., T. Steele, S. & M. Olund, and Diane Ryan of Rialto, CA.
Toy: GCH CH Banana Joe V. Tani Kazari, an Affenpinscher known as “Joe” owned by Zoila Truesdale & Mieke Cooymans of Seekonk, MA.
Non-Sporting: Del Zarzoso Salvame From Afterglow, a Standard Poodle owned by Michael Gadbsy & Jason Lynn of the United Kingdom.
Herding: GCH CH Rocheuses Me And My Shadow Of Cornus, a Bouvier des Flandres known as “Casper” owned by F. & C. Dreyfus, H. & C. Johnson, and K. Brown of Colorado Springs, Colorado.
Other top-dogs awarded during the two-day event included the following:
Eukanuba World Challenge
This international event featured 42 top-winning dogs from six continents. GCH Jaset’s Satisfaction, a Standard Poodle representing the United States and owned by Michele Molnar and Jamie Danburg was awarded a hefty purse of $10,000 along with the title of “Eukanuba World Challenge Champion.”
Best Bred-By-Exhibitor in Show
GCH Protocol’s Veni Vidi Vici, a Doberman Pinscher known as “Fifi” was awarded Best Bred-By-Exhibitor in Show, edging out more than 1,200 dogs representing 29 percent of the total competitors entered in the “Bred-By Exhibitor” competition. “Fifi’s” owners Jocelyn & Kevin Mullins and Suzy & Dick Lundy of Lewis Center, OH were awarded a $15,000 cash prize.
Best in Miscellaneous Group
Ona De Las Pampas, a Dogo Argentino owned by Nancie Mages & Kim & Joseph Halcom of Millington, Illinois.
In the Junior Showmanship competition, for handlers from between 9 to 18 years of age, Emma Grayson Echols with her Yorkshire Terrier GCH CH Silkiss’D Lets Rock was awarded the coveted title of Best Junior Handler, along with a $2,000 scholarship. Emma also won the competition in 2011.
Agility and Obedience Competitions
The 2012 AKC National Obedience Invitational and the AKC Agility Invitational were held in conjunction with the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship. The two events demonstrate the highest level of training and teamwork between dog and handler and are the culmination of thousands of trials held throughout the year. Obedience and agility competitions for junior handlers were held for the second year.
The AKC National Obedience Invitational Champion is NOC OTCH Spirit’s Zim Zam Zoom UDX7 OM4, a Golden Retriever owned by Ward Falkner of North Vancouver, BC, Canada. This pair also won the competition in 2011.
AKC National Juniors Obedience Competition
Juniors who participated in the AKC National Juniors Obedience Competition competed in three age divisions (Junior: Under 12 on the day of the event; Intermediate: 12 and under 15; and Senior: 15 and under 18) in Beginner Novice and/or Novice classes twice, based on their AKC obedience accomplishments.
Placing first in their divisions were:
- Beginner Novice Junior: Shea McGuinness and Bailey’s Irish Dreamer BN RN, an English Springer Spaniel
- Beginner Novice Intermediate: Tom Corlette V and Hunter, a Golden Retriever
- Beginner Novice Senior: William Zachary Freedman and Pinnacle Just A Bud RA MX MXB MXJ MJB OF, a Shetland Sheepdog
- Novice Junior: Avery Adams and OTCH MACH5 Badgersbrook Lucy Sparkles UDX8 OM6 VER RAE MXB2 MJB2 MXF MFB TQX T2B, a Golden Retriever
- Novice Intermediate: Palmer Cross and Kuventre Life From The Ashes Phoenix CD, a Golden Retriever
- Novice Senior: Brianne Farr and Powerhouse Cash It All In CDX RE, a Border Collie
Five agility dogs and their owners – one dog/handler team in each of the five height categories – were crowned at the AKC Agility Invitational, which brought together more than 600 dogs from across the country and beyond.
Placing first in their height division (8″, 12″, 16″, 20″ and 24″ respectively) were:
- 8” – NAC MACH7 Rosen Hill’s Blink Of An Eye MXC2 MJG3 “Blink,” a Toy Fox Terrier handled by Johanna Ammentorp
- 12” – MACH2 China Road Ziggy’s Split Decision MXS MJG OF “Ziggy,” a Chinese Crested handled by Estelle Robinson
- 16” – MACH2 Crush MXS MJS XF “Crush,” an All American Dog / Mixed Breed handled by Aryn Hervel
- 20” – MACH7 Blackwatch Limited Edition Maja MXC2 MJC2 “Maja,” a Border Collie handled by Silvina Bruera
- 24” – MACH Roo! CD MXB MJS “Roo,” an All American Dog / Mixed Breed handled by Stacey Campbell
AKC Juniors Agility Competition
Juniors who participated in the AKC Juniors Agility Competition competed in either the Junior Excellent or Superior Classes, depending on whether they had achieved an agility title.
Placing first in their height division (8″, 12″, 16″, 20″ and 24″ respectively) in the Junior Excellent class were:
- 8”- “Roxy,” a Havanese handled by Chase Koetter
- 12”- “Trixie,” an English Cocker Spaniel handled by Blake Rivas
- 16”- “Stella,” an Australian Shepherd handled by Dana George
- 20”- “Karli Renay,” a Border Collie handled by Kaitlyn Dreese
- 24”- “Huntleigh,” a Labrador Retriever handled by Avery Adams
Placing first in their height division (12”, 16″, 20″ and 24″ respectively) in the Junior Superior class were:
- 12”- “Mac,” a Beagle handled by Sierra Martin
- 16”- “Fuze,” a Shetland Sheepdog handled by Brooke Netherland
- 20”- “Phil,” a Border Collie handled by Kaitlyn Dreese
- 24”- “Rocket,” an Australian Shepherd handled by Brianne Farr
AKC Meet the Breeds®
The Bull Terrier booth won AKC Meet the Breeds® Best Booth in Show.
Members of the media may download high resolution photos of the winners from the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship FTP site. Please click here for more information.