Celebrate AKC Responsible Dog Ownership Day in Raleigh This September
–Family-Friendly and Educational Event Returns for its 15th Year–
Each September, the AKC hosts AKC Responsible Dog Ownership Days to educate first-time dog owners about the responsibilities of dog ownership and help current owners enhance their relationships with their pets. This year, AKC’s event will take place from 10am-3pm on September 9th in Raleigh, NC at the North Carolina State Fairgrounds. Admission is free to the public!
“AKC Responsible Dog Ownership Day highlights the commitment it takes to own a dog,” said AKC Spokesperson Penny Leigh. “It’s crucial for current and potential dog owners to be educated and recognize the amount of work that goes into a happy, healthy canine companion. The day will be filled with many fun and educational activities for the whole family! We hope this event will help attendees make smart decisions when acquiring a dog or caring for one they already own.”
Activities at the 2017 AKC Responsible Dog Ownership Day include:
- Discounted $10 microchipping by Wake County Animal Care, Control & Adoption. This includes lifetime enrollment in AKC Reunite’s national recovery service. A microchip is a permanent solution to identify a pet and help reunite it with its owner if it’s lost or stolen.
- AKC Canine Good Citizen® and Canine Good Citizen Advanced testing. This 10-step test certifies that dogs are well-mannered members of the community. Trick Dog testing will also be available. These tests will be open to the public for just $5 each.
- Action packed dog demonstrations including Scent Work, Herding, Flyball and more.
- Family-friendly activities like games, face painting and raffles, among others.
- An opportunity to try a beginning Agility course and get advice from trainers at AKC’s My Dog Can Do That! – Just $5
- Educational grooming programs and a rescue dog makeover by Aussie Pet Mobile, a mobile pet grooming service.
- Reduced fees to enroll a mixed breed dog in AKC Canine Partners: $20, a 57% discount. This is good for the life of the dog.
Attendees will also have a chance to meet various dog breeds that will be on hand for AKC Meet the Breeds as well as speak one-on-one with experienced breeders, owners, handlers and trainers that are active in AKC events, clubs, and rescue groups.
Other free activities and giveaways include goodie bags for the first 500 families, service dog demonstrations, breed parades and more.
AKC Pet Insurance, administered by PetPartners, Inc., returns this year as the presenting sponsor of AKC Responsible Dog Ownership Days. They are highlighting their commitment to responsible dog ownership by working with the American Kennel Club to provide resources and information about the importance of pet insurance. Activities at the AKC Pet Insurance booth include a canine photo booth, a ball pit for kids and more. AKC Responsible Dog Ownership Day is also sponsored by Motel 6, the first national pet friendly chain, welcoming pets since 1962.
2017 AKC Responsible Dog Ownership Day Snapshot
Saturday, September 9, 2016
Free admission – 10:00 am to 3:00 pm
North Carolina State Fairgrounds
1025 Blue Ridge Blvd. Raleigh, NC 27607
Learn more at www.akc.org/rdod.
Email NCRDODay@akc.org for more information.
The AKC Pet Insurance Certificate is administered by PetPartners, Inc. and is underwritten by American Pet Insurance Company, 6100 4th Ave S., Seattle WA 98108, or Independence American Insurance Company. Activation is required. Not available in all states and only available to U.S. residents. Eligibility restrictions apply. Visit www.akcpetinsurance.com/certificate or call 1-866-725-2747 for more information or to review terms and conditions.