Eleven new AKC® National Agility Champions were crowned yesterday at the 2012 AKC National Agility Championship (NAC) sponsored by J &J Dog Supplies, held March 30 – April 1 in Reno, Nevada. The American Kennel Club® event brought together an entry of more than 900 dogs from across the country to compete for the titles of AKC National Agility Champion and AKC Preferred National Agility Champion. One dog and handler team was crowned in each jump height category in both the regular and preferred competitions.
“After the completion of more than 4,200 total runs over the weekend, we are thrilled to congratulate the 2012 National Agility Championship winners,” said Carrie DeYoung, AKC Director of Agility. “Thank you to Reno, which was a great host city to the 900 dogs and handlers who exhibited! I would also like to thank J&J Dog Supplies for their support of the National Agility Championship.”
The AKC National Agility Championship demonstrates the highest level of training and teamwork between dog and handler and is the culmination of thousands of trials held throughout the year. Dogs had to qualify at the highest levels of competition in order to compete. The “Olympics” of dog sports, agility events allow dogs to demonstrate their athleticism and versatility by racing against the clock and overcoming a challenging course of different obstacles.
Winners of the regular AKC National Agility Championship now have the title “NAC” as a prefix to their AKC names. Placing first in their height division (8″, 12″, 16″, 20″, 24” and 26″ respectively) were:
AKC National Agility Champions
- 8” – CH MACH2 StarStruck Anticipation OF (“Carly,” a Papillon) owned by Andrea Samuels of Westbury, New York
- 12” – Bare Cove Tri To Keep Up MX MXJ NF (“Race,” a Shetland Sheepdog) owned by Laura Dolan of Westford, Massachusetts
- 16” – NAC MACH3 Luka De La Brise XF (“Luka,” a Pyrenean Shepherd) owned by Ashley Deacon of Redwood City, California
- 20” – MACH2 Contact Points Red Alert Of Lightfoot (“Zing!,” a Border Collie) owned by Gabrielle Blackburn of Wesley Chapel, Florida
- 24” – MACH Chiron Incyta More Smarts CD MXF (“Smartie,” a Belgian Tervuren) owned by Julie Hill of Mandeville, Louisiana
- 26” – NAC MACH Super Sun OF (“Solar,” a Border Collie) owned by Daisy Peel of Bonney Lake, Washington
The top dog in each preferred jump height – 4”, 8”, 12”, 16” and 20” won the title Preferred National Agility Champion of 2012. Dogs entered in the preferred competition jump at a lower height and have more time to complete the course than in the regular agility competition, allowing more dogs, such as our older canines, the opportunity to compete. Winners of the AKC Preferred National Agility Championship now have the title “PNAC” as a prefix to their AKC names.
AKC Preferred National Agility Champions
- 4” – Kaylin Special Edition AX AXJ MXP MJP (“Buddy Lee,” a Papillon) owned by Dennis McCoy and handled by Mike McCoy of Pueblo, Colorado
- 8” – MACH2 Willowbend Enchanted Evening MXP MJP NF (“Eve,” a Pembroke Welsh Corgi) owned by Janelle Julyan of Chamblee, Georgia
- 12” – MACH2 Guided Tour MXP MJP OF (“Tori,” a Border Collie) owned by Beth Rogers of Glenview, Illinois
- 16” – MACH PACH Barjor's Virtual Reality Emulator HSAs MXP4 MJP4 PAX MXF XFP (“Emma,” a Border Collie) owned by Barbara Persson of Portland, Oregon
- 20” – PACH2 Oliver OA AXJ MXP7 MJP9 PAX2 OF MFP TQXP (“Oliver,” a Border Collie) owned by Ira Dauer of Howell, New Jersey
For more information on AKC events, including photos and additional results, visit www.akc.org