James Dok, Dr. Charles Garvin and Ronald Menaker Elected
New York, NY – At the Annual Meeting of the American Kennel Club on March 11, 2014, the AKC Board of Directors Class of 2018 was elected. The three Directors elected were: James Dok, Delegate from the Gig Harbor Kennel Club; Dr. Charles Garvin, Delegate from the Dalmatian Club of America; and Ronald Menaker, Delegate from the Rockford-Freeport Illinois Kennel Club. In addition, Alan Kalter (American Bullmastiff Association, Inc.) was re-elected as Chairman of the Board and Dr. Charles Garvin (Dalmatian Club of America) was elected as the Vice Chairman of the Board at a meeting of the AKC Board of Directors, convened after the Delegates Meeting.
AKC Chairman and Vice Chairman
- Alan Kalter, of Ann Arbor, MI, brings a unique combination of experience in the world of purebred dogs, business, and marketing to the AKC Board. As an active breeder/exhibitor of Bullmastiffs for nearly 30 years, he has produced 165 champions including BIS, BISS, and five generations of Group winners under the HappyLegs registered prefix.
He is the past President of the American Bullmastiff Association and currently serves as a director and Delegate. Alan was also one of the original Board members of the AKC PAC and still serves.
Professionally, Alan was the CEO and owner of a multinational, multibillion dollar advertising agency employing 1000 people throughout 11 offices in three countries. The company developed Morris Animal Foundation's communications including the Canine Cancer Campaign, as well as AKC pro bono marketing, and originating “We're more than champion dogs. We're the dog's champion.”
- Dr. J. Charles Garvin, of Marion, Ohio, has been involved in dogs since 1965, first in obedience, then in Junior Showmanship and conformation. Working with his late mother, his wife and children, his Korcula Kennels, Reg. has produced nearly 90 champions in the breed, most of them owner-handled. He has bred and owned five Best in Show winners and several of the top winners and producers in the breed. He won the Junior Showmanship finals at Westminster in 1969.
An AKC Delegate since 1990, he has served 12 years on the AKC Board of Directors, and seven years on the AKC Canine Health Foundation board. He has served 14 terms as President of the Dalmatian Club of America, and has been on the Board of Directors for 32 years. He has been President of the Marion Ohio KC seven years, and on the board since 1982. First approved as an AKC Judge in 1980, he has judged at the Dalmatian national specialty seven times, Westminster, AENC, and at the 1984 AKC Centennial Show. He is an active ophthalmic surgeon and physician executive.
AKC Board of Directors Class of 2018
- James R. Dok, of Shelton, WA, has served as AKC Delegate since 1993, most recently for the Gig Harbor Kennel Club. He is a member of the parent clubs for the Basset Hound, English Setter, Dachshund and Beagle, has been part of the California Federation of Dog Clubs, Inc. since 1991, and is an AKC licensed judge and Breeder of Merit program participant. Dok has continuously served as an AKC Trial Board Officer since his appointment in 1998. He has been part of the All-Breed Club and Strategic Planning Delegate committees and currently serves on the Delegate Advocacy & Advancement Committee, of which he has been a member for 11 years.
Professionally, he has been a Director of the Mason General Hospital Foundation, General Agent of The UNUM INSURANCE GROUP, Senior Vice President/Executive Disability Plans of Benefits Group Worldwide and Managing General Partner of the Paul Revere Insurance Group.
- Dr. J. Charles Garvin – See Above
- Ronald H. Menaker, of Jupiter, Florida, has been actively involved in the Sport for more than 45 years. Most recently, he served as both Chairman of the AKC Board of Directors and Show Chairman of the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship from 2002 to 2012. A licensed AKC judge since 1994, Menaker is approved to judge Best in Show and the Sporting, Working, Terrier, Non-Sporting and Toy Groups. He has served on the Board of Overseers for the University of Pennsylvania Veterinary School and as a Trustee of the Morris Animal Foundation. He has also served as Chairman and Vice Chairman of New York Downtown Hospital.
Professionally, Menaker was President of J.P. Morgan Services, where he was responsible for a $512 million budget and 1,100 employees. He also worked as Managing Director and head of Corporate Services Worldwide for J.P. Morgan. He has served on the Boards of the Atalanta Capital Corporation, the Reckson Associates Realty Corporation and New York University Medical Center.
— James Dok, Dr. Charles Garvin and Ronald Menaker Elected —
New York, NY At the Annual…