The Tacoma Kennel Club (TKC), founded in 1890, just celebrated its 125th anniversary at its dog show and trial this past weekend. The club marked the milestone with a commemorative gift for each entry and special trophy presenters at Group time. Thanks, TKC, for 125 years dedicated to the betterment of purebred dogs!
Let’s take a look back at some of the club’s history:
The following photos are from the Tacoma Kennel Club shows held in 1938 and 1939. The show in 1938 was held at Fellowship Hall. The show in 1939 was held in the old Sears & Roebuck building, at 24th & Pacific Avenue. Photos courtesy of the Tacoma Times.
Mary (Mrs. Norton) Clapp, holding a bouquet of roses, awarded by the Tacoma Chamber of Commerce “Best Dog” prize to Boston terrier, Champion Playfair Rockefeller, winner of the first annual Tacoma Kennel Club show. The terrier had already been named “Best in Show” by Judge Irving C. Ackerman of San Francisco. The champion dog was owned by Jack Playfair of Portland.
Several exhibitors with their dogs. Three hundred and five dogs competed for awards. The “Best in Show” winner was Boston terrier Champion Playfair Rockefeller, owned by Jack Playfair of Portland. Over 1800 persons attended the two day exhibit.
Blue King II, a Kerry Blue Terrier, won Best in Show at the All Breed Dog Show, April 29-30, 1939, sponsored by the Tacoma Kennel Club and held at the old Sears and Roebuck building, at 24th and Pacific. He is posed here with his owner Mrs. William Fox of Oakland, California. After numerous wins on the west coast, the terrier was in the lead for the American Kennel Club’s prize, awarded for winning the most victories of the year.
Champion Playfair Rockefeller, a Boston Bulldog, took first place in Group 6, Non-Sporting Dogs, at the two-day dog show held in the former Sears Roebuck Building, April 29-30, 1939. Over 50 varieties of dogs participated in the All Breed Dog Show. The show was co-sponsored by the Tacoma Kennel Club and the Young Men’s Business Club.
Best of Show, Blue King II, a Kerry Blue Terrier, won first place in Group 4 at the All Breed Dog Show sponsored by the Tacoma Kennel Club and held at the old Sears and Roebuck building. L. to R: A. W. Forbes, president, Tacoma Kennel Club, owner Mrs. William Fox, California, and Eval E. Cravell, chief judge, Vancouver, B.C. The pair of East Indian hand tooled vases awarded to the winner were donated by the Tacoma Times.
Canadian and American champion, “Coats Correct,” three time winner for Best Dog in Show, pictured at the All Breed dog show held April 29-30, 1939 at the
old Sears and Roebuck Building.
A spaniel dog being shown at the All Breed Dog Show sponsored by the Tacoma Kennel Club and held at the old Sears and Roebuck building April 29-30, 1939.
Man positioning a hunting dog for show competition. All Breed Dog show held at the former Sears Roebuck Building, April 29-30, 1939.
Betz-Von-Der-Schwerin, female Doberman Pinscher on right, is proud to show off her seven puppies at the All Breed Dog Show sponsored by the Tacoma Kennel Club.
The puppies, six male and one female, were a featured attraction at the show. Father Sumpter Cullers, on left backed by his many ribbons, looks a bit bewildered at the trophy vase. The dogs are owned by Alan J. Mekelburg of Portland, Oregon.