UPDATE: As of November 29, dog food manufacturers ELM Pet Foods, Lidl, Sunshine Mills Inc., Kroger, and Advanced Nutrition Formula (ANF) Inc. have also recalled dog food for elevated or potentially elevated levels of vitamin D. Affected brand names include Evolve, Sportsman’s Pride, Triumph, Orlando, Elm Pet Foods, and ANF. As of December 3, Ahold Delhaize has also recalled dog food. See the full FDA recalls and withdrawals list for specific products included in the recall.
Too much of a good thing — in this case, vitamin D — has sickened some dogs and prompted of recalls of dry dog foods, according to the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA).
Nutrisca and Natural Life Pet Products, both based in Saint Louis, issued voluntary recalls of their products when pet owners complained that their dogs became ill after eating the food. There were three complaints to each company.
An investigation uncovered a formulation error.
Signs of vitamin D poisoning include vomiting, loss of appetite, increased thirst and urination, weakness, excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and weight loss. In severe cases, it can lead to kidney failure. Symptoms generally start within 12 to 36 hours.
Dog owners should stop feeding the products (listed below) immediately. If your dog has eaten these foods and is showing signs of illness, you should contact your vet, according to the FDA.
Nutrisca recalls bags of Chicken and Chickpea Dry Dog Food with the following UPC barcodes. The products were distributed nationwide:
- 4 pounds Nutrisca® Chicken and Chickpea Dry Dog Food/Bag UPC: 8-84244-12495-7
- 15 pounds Nutrisca® Chicken and Chickpea Dry Dog Food/Bag UPC: 8-84244-12795-8
- 28 pounds Nutrisca® Chicken and Chickpea Dry Dog Food/Bag UPC: 8-84244-12895-5
Bags affected have a Best By Date code of Feb. 25, 2020, through Sept. 13, 2020.
Natural Life Pet Products
Natural Life Pet Products, also of Saint Louis, is voluntarily recalling bags of its Chicken & Potato dry dog food that were distributed in Georgia, Florida, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and California. The product is:
- 17.5 pounds Natural Life Chicken & Potato Dry Dog Food/Bag UPC: 0-12344-08175-1
The Best By Date code for affected bags is December 4, 2019, through August 10, 2020
ANF Inc recalls bags of its ANF Lamb and Rice Dry Dog Food that were distributed in retail stores in Puerto Rico. The products are:
- 3 kg ANF Lamb and Rice Dry Dog Food labeled with a best by date of November 23, 2019/Bag UPC of 9097231622
- 7.5 kg ANF Lamb and Rice Dry Dog Food labeled with a best by date of November 20, 2019/Bag UPC of 9097203300
Sunshine Mills, Inc.
Sunshine Mills, Inc. recalls select products of Evolve Puppy, Sportsman’s Pride, Large Breed Puppy, and Triumph Chicken and Rice Dog Food. The products were distributed in retail stores nationwide as well as some distributors in Japan, Puerto Rico, Israel, Canada, and South Korea.
- 14 pounds Evolve® Chicken & Rice Puppy Dry Dog Food Bag/UPC: 0-73657-00862-0
- 28 pounds Evolve® Chicken & Rice Puppy Dry Dog Food Bag/UPC: 0-73657-00863-7
- 40 pounds Sportsman’s Pride® Large Breed Puppy Dry Dog Food Bag/UPC: 0-70155-10566-0
- 40 pounds Sportsman’s Pride® Large Breed Puppy Dry Dog Food Bag/UPC: 0-70155-10564-0
- 3.5 pounds Triumph® Chicken & Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food Bag/UPC: 0-73657-00873-6
- 16 pounds Triumph® Chicken & Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food Bag/UPC: 0-73657-00874-3
- 30 pounds Triumph® Chicken & Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food/Bag UPC 0-73657-00875-0
Bags affected have a Best Buy Date Code of November 1, 2018 through November 8, 2019.
Lidl, in association with Sunshine Mills, is recalling specific lots of Orlando Grain Free Chicken and Chickpea Superfood Recipe Dog Food. The lot numbers are:
- TI1 3 Mar 2019
- TB2 21 Mar 2019
- TB3 21 Mar 2019
- TA2 19 Apr 2019
- TB1 15 May 2019
- TB2 15 May 2019
Kroger is recalling select products of its Abound Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe Dog Food. The products are:
- 4 pounds Abound Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe Dog Food/UPC 11110-83556
- 14 pounds Abound Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe Dog Food/UPC 11110-83573
- 24 pounds Abound Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe Dog Food/UPC 11110-89076
ELM Pet Foods, Inc.
ELM Pet Foods, Inc. is recalling Elm Chicken and Chickpea dog food. Lot codes were distributed in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland.The products are:
- 3 Pounds Elm Chicken And Chickpea Recipe – UPC (0-70155-22507-8)
TD2 26 Feb. 2019
TE1 30 April 2019
TD1 5 Sep. 2019
TD2 5 Sep. 2019
- 28 Pounds Elm Chicken And Chickpea Recipe – UPC (0-70155-22513-9)
TB3 6 April 2019
TA1 2 July 2019
TI1 2 July 2019
- 40 Pounds Elm K9 Naturals Chicken Recipe – UPC (0-70155-22522-9)
TB3 14 Sep 2019
TA2 22 Sep 2019
TB2 11 Oct 2019
Ahold Delhaize is recalling select products of Nature’s Promise and Nature’s Place dog foods. The products are:
- 14 pounds Nature’s Promise Chicken & Brown Rice Dog Food/UPC 068826718472
- 28 pounds Nature’s Promise Chicken & Brown Rice Dog Food/UPC 068826718471
- 4 pounds Nature’s Promise Chicken & Brown Rice Dog Food/UPC 068826718473
- 5 pounds Nature’s Place Real Country Chicken and Brown Rice Dog Food/UPC 72543998959
- 15 pounds Nature’s Place Real Country Chicken and Brown Rice Dog Food/UPC 72543998960
FYI: Both Best By Date and UPC barcodes can be found on the back or bottom of each bag.
Consumers with questions can contact the companies at (888) 279-9420 (8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central Standard Time, Monday through Friday) or firstname.lastname@example.org.